hello people! i'm Jacinta Lee, from Limkokwing campus in Cyberjaya.
This should be a long overdue post because i guess i'm one of the earliest to start my internship. In fact i started my job on the 12th of November, which means i've been working for more than half a month now.
I'm working for a small PR agency company called Pixarus Communications. With only a few colleagues and heavy workloads, internship isn't that fun for me. My main responsibilities are to do media screening, write press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, do proposals for pitching, handling media, etc.
On the first day of work itself i've already been asked to write press release for one of the major client, followed by a lot of big and small things to do, as per arranged by my manager.
Besides, i would also have to attend any events related to dances as a media person and write cover stories for each of the event. At many times, i have to work for more than 16 hours.
My manager is definitely not easy to be dealt with, and as a beginner there is a lot for me to learn. Perhaps working with a picky boss would make me a tougher and quicker person in times to come. I just hope that i can learn to be faster and better.
A lot of times i've been complaining about my heavy workload and responsibilities to my family and friends, however, deep inside i know i need to be thankful to be able to work with my current company because i definitely gain a lot from there.
I like the fact that internship is required in Curtin PR subject because it exposes me to a lot of real life experiences which in the end will turn me into a more mature person. I see things from a bigger perspective and experience new things. I grow up from within.
I like the fact that i am able to deal with so many people, learn to talk to the media, learn to brainstorm outstanding ideas, learn to deal with different types of clients, etc. I am definitely grateful that internship gives me such opportunities.
For all those who are having internship out there, all the best to you all. May the all of us work and grow, together.
Cheers.
4 comments:
Thank you for your very insightful post, Jacinta. It sounds like most students you have been benefiting from a very steep learning curve as part of your PR393 placement.
I hope you are enjoying yourself. I agree with you, managers can be very difficult to please at times. However, please keep in mind that you are writing for your global audience - if your agency is monitoring its environment (something which all organisations should be doing) they'll be picking up on your posts.
In fact, if you have a look on the other Reflective Blog you'll find a post by Valentina from earlier this year, who was slightly alarmed when her supervisor forwarded her a copy of her original post within less than a day, which had been picked up with the monitoring service on the other side of the country. Being critical and reflective is absolutely fine and part of the learning experience -but please keep in mind that any current or future employer might come across your posts one day.
Have a fantastic time at Pixarus Communications - I am looking forward to read more about your experience!
Hey Jac,
Ur so right on the manager being difficult at times. However, no matter how much we complain, we're still learning something in the process which will benefit all in the end. So hang in there love!
Ps: My boss is a virgo. VERY particular of EVERYTHING. Its always about the DETAILS baby!
Amy
Dear Katharina,
Thank you for your advices regarding the concerns while posting blog entries, i sincerely appreciate that. I'll take more considerations when posting my entries in the future. Meanwhile, hope that you are doing great in Perth. See you next year.
Regards,
Jacinta
Amy,
Yeah, i would say working life is interesting and torturing at the same time.
Post a Comment