Sunday, December 14, 2008

Working in a Television Station

Dear all,

I am Nurhiza Hidayu from LUCT , Malaysia. I am doing my internship at TV9 a local private television station in Malaysia. Let me give a brief background about TV9. TV9 is under Media Prima Berhad. Media Prima is the largest integrated media investment group in Malaysia and was listed on the Main Board of Bursa (the Malaysian Stock Exchange) on 22 October 2003. Under Media Prima, there are 5 television stations (TV9, TV3, NTV 7, 8TV & TV3 Ghana) and 2 radio stations (Hot Fm and Fly Fm.). So basically, all these stations are base in Sri Pentas where my office is located now. TV9 with its slogan ‘Close to the Heart’ approaches its audience basically through the programs they offered. The programs offered are close to the community and they always have programs that insert good moral and value.

So let us move on to what actually I am doing in this television station. I am working under TV9 Corporate Communications Department. The head of TV9 Corporate Communications is the one who will be observing me. So on my first day, I was introduced to all the workers in TV9. My first task will be….press cutting. I learn this in one of the PR module. Basically, the purpose of press cutting is to observe the media. I will cut any article or news or anything that relates to TV9 or even Media Prima that appears in every local newspaper. I have around 12 newspapers to view everyday and I did this every morning when I came to work. After done with the cutting, I will file all the article and news found and make a few copies on selected article’s to be paste on a board that is located at each floor in the office.

This task has allows me to view on how actually the media look at the company that I am currently working with. This task keeps me updated with the current news and issues that is happening. It does not matter if the news does not relate to my company, I can still learn and know more things that is happening in the world when I did this task. I mean, it is better when you can actually do two things at one time. So once I have filed the cuttings, I will distribute it to the bosses at a few departments in TV9 for them to view the article and leave their signature at a form provided to indicate that they have actually read the news or issues that has been raised by the media. This is to keep the TV9 people alert of how much coverage does the station get from the media and the type of the coverage that the media gave. Was it a good and favorable coverage or was it a bad and unwanted coverage? All this is important to the station. And to get this thing done, this is when they need a PR person. Public Relations is all about creating a good image. So, press cutting is one of the steps taken by a PR person to create a good image for the company.

The next interesting task that I did is to do a DPS. What is DPS? Well DPS means Daily Program Schedule. As you all know, I am working in a television station. So, DPS include TV9 programs schedule. I will do the schedule, usually done per week and make sure that every program written in the schedule is correct and the programs will be aired base on the time that appears in the DPS that I am doing. I will get the raw material of the week program schedule from Dima. She is in charge of the programs slot and timing in TV9. So what I need to do is to sort every raw material and information that I get from her and I need to arrange them accordingly and following the press format. This is to be sent in a soft and hard copy to every print media outlet in Malaysia.

DPS also requires me to do a synopsis of the dramas, shows or soap operas that will be aired in TV9 to be sent together with the daily schedule. This summary will appear on the newspaper at the television program schedule section to give an intro or summary of the shows that will be aired. This is to grab the viewer’s attention so that they will be interested to watch our shows. However, not all summary will be published in the newspaper. The print outlets will choose only the most watchable shows and dramas summaries to be included in the section. Those dramas that include famous artists will mostly get more viewers. So these dramas summary will appear at the program schedule section. Until now, the summary that I wrote has appeared a few times. When I first did the summary, I did not know that the newspaper will actually take the exact words from my summary. I was happy and surprise to know that my summary really actually appeared on the newspaper! It was an amazing feeling when I realize how many people that will actually read the summary that I wrote.

Therefore, I can relate this task with PR job when we actually provide a quality and interesting summary to the media for them to publish and include in their newspaper. I mean, the viewers will surely watch our show if they find our summary is good. So, this is one of the PR tasks which is to help to create a good image of the television station shows and programs.

I will end this posting here. Will share more experience again with all of you soon.

Regards,
Nurhiza Hidayu.

2 comments:

Little L said...

Hi Hida, Leven here. Its good to hear you kicked off so well in your "TV" life. But i got question here:

For the paper cutting thing, does it include other language newspaper or just english one?

Your said u got write some synopsis thing, so does it mean you did watch the show before any others or just write based on some sort of materials?

Lookin forward2 hear from u soon. Take care n stay good!~

Anonymous said...

Dear Leven,

Thanks for leaving your comment at my post.

Regarding your question about the paper cutting, I need to go through the paper in English and Bahasa Malaysia only.

About the synopsis that I wrote for the TV program, I do not need to watch the show but the script or the long description of the show will be given to me. So I will read it and put it in a simpler way to be included in the DPS.

Hope you are doing good at your place;)

Take care!