Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Halfway is a good place to be….

Well here I am halfway through my PR placement. I have to say that I have been involved in a variety of tasks during my time spent at SJOG.

As mentioned in my previous blog, I was moving from the head office to the hospital to complete my placement. My time at the hospital has been very different compared to the head office. While it is the same company, the public relations department at the hospital deals with a wide variety of tasks. One of the things which I have noticed is that the Public relations department is responsible for the development of all corporate communication. All the brochures about the hospital are designed through the department.

Media Observation
One of the observations I have made is that when working for a hospital, it seems to be just as common for the media to approach you for information for a story as it is for you to be approaching the media. While I have been working there, I have noted on a few occasions how the media have contacted the PR and Marketing department and asked for information. Then everything is often dropped to make sure you get the media the information they require ASAP! ‘No comment’ does not look good in any press!

Internal Communication
Internal communication is one of the main areas in which I have been working. While working at a hospital, I have found internal communication to be of vital importance! I have been auditing the signage within the hospital and working on a project to standardise the signs so that each ward is presenting the information in a professional manner, which adheres to the organisation guidelines. This type of communication is not only for employees, but also patients and visitors to the hospital. It is important to maintain a professional manner throughout the hospital and be consistent in the signage. Once I reviewed all the signs, I was able to develop common themes and begin designing the new signs. This was an enjoyable task as I have been working solely on this project. It is great to be working on a project by myself, as I feel I have direct input into the organisation. I have put my ideas forward to the manager and am now awaiting feedback.

With half of my internship remaining, I really hope to learn a lot more. While my time has been enjoyable, I do feel that there is a lot more which I could learn! Hope you are all going well in your placements!

Regards,

Chara (Curtin Campus)




1 comment:

Krish said...

Chara,
I know what you mean when you said everything stops when the media rings! It happens quite often at PPR, as we do the PR for some major clients, but there's still a sense of urgency to get the right information back out to them.
Something I've noticed in relation to this and loved - everyone is still happy and proud when they get a good bit of coverage for their client. One of the consultants has a framed copy of the first print article she placed, which PPR presented to her. I think it's a great bit of internal relations, and the congratulatory, happy atmosphere really makes the job worthwile and rewarding.
Have fun in your last half!
Krish How
Curtin Campus