My name is Ling Yii Yang from Miri Campus. I am not usual blogger so my posts might be a bit weird. I apologize for that first but enough of that.
Currently I am attached to a local hotel, ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri. I have been attached since 15th of December 2008 and will finish around 15th of February this year.
A bit about the hotel, it is a 4-star hotel by the beach, about 5 to 10 minutes away from the city center. If anyone is interested to know more here is a website which has pretty accurate information about it - http://www.agoda.com/asia/malaysia/miri/park_city_everly_hotel.html
The hotel is privately owned by a few parties which I cannot disclose but the hotel is managed by Value Hospitality Hotels (http://www.vhhotels.com/) whom also manages several other hotels in Malaysia.
Unfortunately, in this hotel there is no actual PR position let alone a PR department but the tasks that I have been assigned to are considered PR activities (at least I believe so). Officially, I am attached to the Banquet Sales Department and my main supervisor is Mr. Manshor Yusop, the Systems Development Manager while my department supervisor is Mdm. Lucy Ridgeway, the Sales Director.
So far my tasks are filling all the banquet events into respective company or private files as well as keeping record of them in the system. I was also asked to prepare several event quotations, confirmation letters, and event orders as well as circulating them to guests and internal departments via fax, email and by hand.
I was also asked to participate in the staff carrolling during Christmas Eve in the hotel lobby as well as assist in organising the 47th Annual Staff Gathering on the 19th of December last year. Another task which I was asked to attend to recently was guiding press members who requested to take pictures of the hotel for a feature article they wanted to publish in regards to the coming Chinese New Year.
Smaller tasks which I was also asked to do was becoming an emcee for a short while. I was requested to do a safety briefing to guests during a function and a simple lucky session in the hotel restaurant (Melinau Terrace Restaurant) during New Years Eve. I was also requested to keep an eye on the internet about the information travel site have about the hotel and also to assess which site is a good idea to advertise the hotel.
So far these tasks has allowed me to maintain contact between internal and external stakeholders which I believe to be a PR task but I am still concerned with the fact that I am not attached to an actual PR person / department. Anyone is in the same situation as me?
To end this post, so far it has been fun despite the tons of work and the constant overtime. Just yesterday I was asked to assist in supervising a wedding dinner and did not clock-out from work until 12.00am this morning. I must though, the experience I am gaining here is very valuable and insightful.
If anyone would like to know more, feel free to ask and if anyone has any comments feell free to do so too.
Have a nice day and good luck to everyone.
Peace and Have Fun.
4 comments:
Hye Ling..
Good for you for enjoying your placement program. To me it's best that we actually enjoy what we do.
Your position in your organization is (I think) is same as PR as anyone. Although the name may sound different but the workload sounds the same. So I think you have nothing to worry about :)
I really want to compliment you on becoming the emcee. My stomach would've been filled with butterflies if I had to do that. Haha.
Any pointers?
Hi Yii Yang,
No worries, your blog is fine. I am also not a usual blogger. So, we are the same.
Is good to hear that you enjoy your work at ParkCity, but I think is quite difficult for us who stay in Miri to find a company that really has a specific PR position. Even the company I joined for my internship, also does not have a PR Department.
However, I do agree with Hafidz to say that even if we are not working in the PR Department the work we are doing there also will be the same as in PR task. Therefore, I believe, it should be okay for us. So, we just try our best.
Wow, you had a really good experience in becoming an emcee. I hope I would have that kind of chance too. But if I would be given that chance, I am not sure either if I can handle it or not. So, good luck in your internship okay, and have a nice day. Cheers!
Best regard,
Sherly, Curtin Miri
Thanks for the comments,
As for being the emcee, it wasn't easy as it was kinda sudden arrangement but as for pointers just be yourself and dont worry too much it will be fine.
The butterflies will of course be there but try to imagine the feeling of 'ecstacy' after it is done. That usually helps for me.
Wow, you sure did learn a lot. Lucky for us as we both got placement in Hotels. Beside learning stuff in PR department we also learn about the operation of other department and the general hospitality industry.
Post a Comment