I have just completed my first week at Nova 937. I have gained a valuable insight into the inner mechanics of commercial radio stations. I've found everyone to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I have been given some awesome PR specific tasks to help build experience and a real-life portfolio of PR work.
I really enjoyed writing a media release for the new drive show on Nova – Ryan, Monty and Wippa. The trio are visiting Perth tomorrow and we are holding a press/client party at the station.
The press releases detailed the personal profiles of each new host and information about their new show and how it was formed. The press releases will hopefully be picked up by our targeted newspapers for a human interest story. Whilst writing the media release I drew on my Curtin experience. Studying has given me the insight into the industry –which means your goal of a media release is to try to hand the story to the journalists in an easily digestible format so that they can easily shape it into a news story. I believe this is achieved by making the news release clear, concise, interesting, factually perfect and aimed at the right media outlets. The importance of these factors were taught in all PR units I've studied. I also get to see many news releases coming into Nova. (Nova also broadcast news and use current affairs in their shows). Many of the writers of these press releases make the mistake of not imposing the above boundaries. They are literally tossed in the bin without a further look.
I attended a Nova brand meeting/training which has educated me on the core of Nova’s brand and their values. This criteria is used throughout the organisation when faced with any decision, whether it be ethical or programming decison making. The framework has been carefully developed. This has resulted in an incredibly strong brand in the community.
Whilst covering the receptionist on her lunch break I did some media monitoring. Nova does not believe in chasing the completion, but to just monitor and be aware of what they are doing. So we have made a spreadsheet which monitors what the other Perth radio stations are up to. In any PR capacity it is extremely important to be on top of current affairs and news. It is also important to be aware of what other PR practitioners are doing so as to indentify what works and what doesn't. All of us should strive to constantly learn and improve from eachother in order to make our profession just that..professional.
Throughout my first week I have been involved with the event planning of an upcoming event. The Ruby Room's Good Vibrations Launch Party is an event is for 90 people. 45 of the people will win tickets to the party, the other 45 are Nova’s guests.
I planned the invitation development which involved visiting the printing company and briefing them of the design specifications and budget. Extensive liaison with the printing company, one of the promotions coordinators here at Nova and the venue - Ruby Room, was required to gain an acceptable result for everyone. Finally a design was finalised with some evolution of colour scheme and text inclusion, so everyone was happy. This takes perserverance and compromise. Being in the centre requires effective communication between all parties. Once the design was approved I obtained an invoice from the company and got the invitations printed.
I have also been organising the VIP list. On instruction from the promotions coordinator in charge of planning this event, I rang or emailed local modelling agencies, media, musicians and friends to invite them to the event. Through talking with contacts and emails back in forth I have now have some local rugby players coming (Western Force) 18 local models, some local musicians and hopefully some photographers from a few of the social pages in WA newspapers to cover the event.
Until next week..
Thanks for reading.. Niki
No comments:
Post a Comment