Smile for the Camera!!
Well, I haven’t been on here for awhile, so I thought the two week break would be a good time to update you on my internship at TSH. A few weeks ago I was asked to meet our face of TSH, Riley, for a photo shoot, so I could see how everything works behind the scenes of an event like Artitude. I met Riley, and his parents, at Fisher Photography for his photo shoot- what an adorable little kid!!! He will be the face of TSH for the year, with Fisher providing one free photo shoot a year for the centre. Riley’s hearing defect was picked through the Newborn Screening Program and now has two hearing aids and is doing exceptionally well with them. This is the main focus of many of our media releases about Artitude, as the money raised from it will go into funding for the Screening program.
Have you ever tried to make a kid sit still, smile, look in one direction, not pull his shoes off and not pull his hearing aids out? Luckily for us, Riley was a fairly well behaved kid and the shoot took less than 15 minutes. But you can only imagine what a job that would be if the child was in a cranky mood! Working through the shoot, I noticed the small details that need to be kept in mind- will the photo be a watermark, go on a DVD cover, front of a book, annual report etc. I also learned that you have to take pictures that are appropriate for all of these. Will the background be black or white, colours or a backdrop? What will he need to wear, what will other people in the shot have to wear?
The photos turned out really well, many of them Riley was looking happy and excited and basically looking in the right direction- Natasha asked me what my thoughts were on the ones I thought were the best and she narrowed it down to 4.
My second photo shoot (I wasn’t as involved with this one) was very quick, for the Western Suburbs Weekly and The Post. The shoot was for Loud Shirt Day, which I am not really involved in, and both girls had hearing problems. The older one wasn’t quite happy wit the idea of smiling, though mum did try everything she could to make her smile!! In the end, we had to god with a surprise look because there was no way she was going to smile for the camera. It highlighted the fact that even though you have a certain picture idea in mind, the idea will not always work out. You have to work around others capabilities to create something that will work with you story. It really makes you realize how much goes into this sort of thing!!
2 comments:
Oh how exciting, it would seem your enjoying some of the nicer aspects of our chosen craft. I really admire you working for such an amazing organisation as TSH, helping them make a difference to young kid’s lives. I have had a similar experience working for the Education department in their Corporate Communications and Marketing department. For an upcoming brochure regarding teacher advancement pathways I was sent out to a school to take some photos with a Teacher and her class of year one students. Needless to say it was a challenging and interesting afternoon getting twenty little ones to all sit still on a mat, hold a book, look in the same direction and not completely drive themselves crazy in the process. Having said that the shoot was a great success and was a load of fun working with the little ones who are really amazing little people. The brochure will be part of a campaign to improve teacher retention in the department which is one of their biggest issues. Anyway great blog, good luck for the rest of your time and good luck in the future.
Cheers.
Luke
Hey there!
Your task is interesting and I think you had a lot of fun doing it. There are a few things that you mentioned in your blog and it helps me to keep that in mind too. I agree with the details that you have mentioned in your blog, such as the background color, backdrop and the image itself. I believe that when writing a media release and we want to attach a picture in it, there are many things we have to consider. For example, a media release about a new collaboration between two organisations, I think that the best image to put in the media release is the image of the two CEO smiles and shake hands together. The image has to link with the news of the media release. In media release, image is also an important element, due to the fact that readers see the picture first rather than the title. Image helps to capture readers’ eyes and influence them to read the media release. Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Good luck with your internship!
Post a Comment