Wednesday, April 22, 2009

PR at Burswood Entertainment Complex

Hi everyone!! I hope you are all enjoying your PR placements as much as I am. So this is my first post (even though I have been on my prac for 26 days already) and I still have a few weeks left. I am working in the Public Relations department at Burswood Entertainment Complex and so far it has been awesome. Over the past 26 days I have learned so much and been involved in a whole range of projects. Before I go into what I have been doing I will give you a quick overview of what the PR department are responsible for at Burswood. The team is split up into the following key areas, Internal Communications, External Communications & Special Projects, Customer Comments & Complaints, Corporate Partnerships (including Community Relations and Corporate Sponsorship) and Issues and Crisis Management. As you can imagine the team are kept very busy as we look after all of the PR initiatives across the entire complex which covers everything from hotels, to restaurants and bars, entertainment and the casino, not to mention the 4000+ staff that need to be kept in the loop!

So moving on to my prac… I won’t bore you with all of the nitty gritty details but I’ll start with the projects I was involved with in the first two weeks of my placement. The fist couple of days I was getting to know the team but that didn’t mean that I was left with nothing to do! I worked with our Community Executive to create an events calendar for the community projects and also involved with the Victorian Bushfire Appeal that was being run onsite. On day two I was thrown straight into assisting the Communications Project Executive with organising a media conference which was to be held that Friday. The media conference was for the launch of the Australian Employment Covenant (an initiative spearheaded by Andrew Forrest aimed at increasing Indigenous Employment) and I was involved with organising the event which was being held onsite. We had to liaise with Rowland (who was looking after the PR for the AEC) to find a venue, and organise the logistics of the event and put together a running sheet and invite list. I also had to help write a speech for our CEO and brief him on the event. On the day I was involved in setting up the venue, meeting & greeting guests, media management and general running of the event.

Week two was just as full on. I was involved in organising an event which unfortunately didn’t go ahead, nonetheless I did get to do all of the prep work and now have a template for organising a similar event in the future. The event was a preview screening of Confessions of a Shopoholic for our key stakeholders; therefore I needed to liaise with Carol-Jung PR and Promotions (Disney). Some of the key components of the event that I had to organise were, prepare a guest list, including media, community & sponsorship partners and socials, liaise with the venue manager (Jaffa Room) and arrange catering. During the second week I was also helping out our Sponsorship Executive on a project which would become one of my key resposibilities over the next couple of weeks...... stay tuned to find out more about PR at Burswood!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dyann,

Your placement sounds really interesting. It never really occured to me that the Burswood would have so much pr outside of event managements. How many people in total are in the pr department?
What was involved for the media management for the launch of the Australian Employment Covenant?

I am working for St John of God Hospital Murdoch. They have over 1300 staff and have a very strong focus on internal communications and employee benefits and retention of staff. I have assisting with event management and many employee initiatives.

I am interested to hear more about the Sponosrship at Burswood as I have assisted in revamping a sponsorship proposal for St John of Gods Gala ball.

Looking forward to reading about your new post.

Dyann Pigram said...

Hi Annika,

It really is so interesting!! At the moment there are seven of us in the PR team, apparently that's quite a big team but we do have a pretty big portfolio.

With the AEC launch I was incolved in meeting and greeting the media, making sure they knew what was going on and where to be etc. and handing out the media kits.

I am also very involved with Internal comms at the moment. There are alot of stuctures internal initiatives as well as events and staff benefits. For example, on Thursday I am helping out with a purfume sale for stuff in our canteen. Just in time for Mothers day!

The community and corporate sponsorship at Burswood is very competitive as you can imagine but there are numerous organisations around Perth that we are in partnership with.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dyann,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Thanks for your note regarding more information on Pr at Burswood.

Its great that you have been involved with meeting and greeting the media. It is a fantastic opportunity to put a face to a name and to make network contacts.

Interesting that there are 7 people on your team at Burswood... there are only 2 in the St John of God Murdoch Hospital team and they work really hard! Interesting to see the difference between not-for-profit and business.

I hope you have fun with the rest of your internship and good luck with your report.

Cya,

Annika

Anonymous said...

Hi Dyann,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Thanks for your note regarding more information on Pr at Burswood.

Its great that you have been involved with meeting and greeting the media. It is a fantastic opportunity to put a face to a name and to make network contacts.

Interesting that there are 7 people on your team at Burswood... there are only 2 in the St John of God Murdoch Hospital team and they work really hard! Interesting to see the difference between not-for-profit and business.

I hope you have fun with the rest of your internship and good luck with your report.

Cya,

Annika