Hello to all future PR-Pros!
This is my first blog and I have completed my internship during the summers. I did my internship at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I did six weeks there in their Communications Department where there were three public relations staffs. Tulip Noorazyze, the Director of Communications was my supervisor throughout my training period. She guided along the way. She brought me around with her as she checks and goes around the resort in the first week. She is a very stern woman and she takes every task and everything of the company very seriously. She has been working there for 20 years and thus she has her own system, and ways of doing things which she follows stringently.
On the first two weeks, I went through the resort's Communications Manual and Crises Management Manual, thus, found them pretty useful for my PR knowledge. All my PR classes then started to make more sense after reading the manuals.
Daily Routine & Briefings
Now, my 'job' was neither that fun nor too busy. However, it was interesting to observe and mostly I had to learn most of the things myself. I went to work as a normal staff every day by 8:30am, sign at the security house and walk all the way to the other wing where the office is, through the underground way - because staffs are not allowed to stroll or walk around the resort for no purposes at any time of the day. Every morning, there is a morning marketing briefing whereby everyone (the Communications, Marketing and Events Department) gathers in the meeting room and report updates and everyone's plan for the day. The purpose of the marketing briefing is simply to update each other on the progress of the resort as well as to help employee be clear of what to accomplish by the end of the day. Oh, before the morning briefing, I had to read all the newspapers to look for any news clippings regarding the resort or the sister companies or about other competitors. I'd to look for news, advertisements by the resort or the sister companies or about other competitors and other latest news which concerns the hotel line or any latest environmental issues etc, I have never read so MANY newspapers in a day! But ya, it was a good thing. I was always updated.
Btw, the morning briefing is the most interesting part because that is when I get to know the people and I learn wha the other departments are doing. It is during the briefing that I get the brief idea of how the management of the hotel works.
I wish i got this blog thing during my internship period. It would have been more fun to write in this blog then. Now I'll just have to refer to my notes I wrote during my internship and try to remember everything to post up something interesting. And wish me luck, this is my first time in the blogging world! So, i'm still getting the hang of this and learning it.
Til' my next post, do read on..
Bas.
Curtin S'wak.
This is my first blog and I have completed my internship during the summers. I did my internship at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I did six weeks there in their Communications Department where there were three public relations staffs. Tulip Noorazyze, the Director of Communications was my supervisor throughout my training period. She guided along the way. She brought me around with her as she checks and goes around the resort in the first week. She is a very stern woman and she takes every task and everything of the company very seriously. She has been working there for 20 years and thus she has her own system, and ways of doing things which she follows stringently.
On the first two weeks, I went through the resort's Communications Manual and Crises Management Manual, thus, found them pretty useful for my PR knowledge. All my PR classes then started to make more sense after reading the manuals.
Daily Routine & Briefings
Now, my 'job' was neither that fun nor too busy. However, it was interesting to observe and mostly I had to learn most of the things myself. I went to work as a normal staff every day by 8:30am, sign at the security house and walk all the way to the other wing where the office is, through the underground way - because staffs are not allowed to stroll or walk around the resort for no purposes at any time of the day. Every morning, there is a morning marketing briefing whereby everyone (the Communications, Marketing and Events Department) gathers in the meeting room and report updates and everyone's plan for the day. The purpose of the marketing briefing is simply to update each other on the progress of the resort as well as to help employee be clear of what to accomplish by the end of the day. Oh, before the morning briefing, I had to read all the newspapers to look for any news clippings regarding the resort or the sister companies or about other competitors. I'd to look for news, advertisements by the resort or the sister companies or about other competitors and other latest news which concerns the hotel line or any latest environmental issues etc, I have never read so MANY newspapers in a day! But ya, it was a good thing. I was always updated.
Btw, the morning briefing is the most interesting part because that is when I get to know the people and I learn wha the other departments are doing. It is during the briefing that I get the brief idea of how the management of the hotel works.
I wish i got this blog thing during my internship period. It would have been more fun to write in this blog then. Now I'll just have to refer to my notes I wrote during my internship and try to remember everything to post up something interesting. And wish me luck, this is my first time in the blogging world! So, i'm still getting the hang of this and learning it.
Til' my next post, do read on..
Bas.
Curtin S'wak.
3 comments:
It's good and scary at the same time to see such a formal and strict routine of public relations in a hotel.
I would like to see how they handle a crisis because it would be a good test to their public relations readiness. Having that manual sounds like a good start.
yeah, it is pretty strict. however, what they usually talked about during the meetings are mainly on how the hotel sales are doing, what the other competitors are doing and wht they intend to do to be on par.
Yes, unfortunately, i wasn't able to experience the crisis part. nothing major happened during my time. It would have been more interesting.
The manuals were huge! They were about everything, from A to Z about the communications department. On the rules, roles, collaterals, prints, crisis management etc
Post a Comment