Monday, May 4, 2009

Corporate Social Responsibility at IBL

My third week of internship at IBL was really very interesting as I was assigned with more important tasks. This week was focused on the issue of the new Corporate Social Responsibility policy of the company of the year 2009. For the very first time, IBL has taken the decision to focus on children who are in need.
I was asked to assist to the first meeting of the CSR committee created for the first time where the budget allocated to the project was announced. I assisted to how usually when there are such projects, the committee come to an agreement and discuss on specific issues such as demographics. It was very interesting to see how they discuss about these issue so as to be able to come to an agreement. A budget of 1.5% of the benefits of IBl is actually allocated to the project and this will only serve children who are underpriviledged and will relate to issues like
health, education, sport, environment, lodging, social welfare or domestic violence (http://www.iblgroup.com/downloads/social/child.pdf)
After the meeting, I was ask to write a report of what had been said in the meeting. I was asked to take notes of who said what so as to be able to write a detailed report. I then had to submit it to the Senior Communication Manager, Mrs Cecile Masson. She read the report and found some mistakes but she was very comprehensive as she knew it was the first time I was doing such a task.
This really showed me that she trusted me as I was the only person present doing the notes of meeting.
Together with this, I was assigned with the daily tasks such as the press clippings and the updating of media contact details which took me a lot of time to complete as I had to call each local media outlet and talk to the journalist personally to obtain their contact details.
I would sum up by saying that this experience of being in touch with the CSR of IBL really helped me to understand how from the beginning to the end, a company use to organise the project.

No comments: