Hey all!
Yeah!!! This is it, I am done with my work experience but I will still be working with the International Students Committee (ISC) until the end of the year. This has been a very rewarding experience with many ups and downs. Like most of you out there, I have had my little dramas and they have given me ESSENTIAL tools, tips or techniques of how to be a better PR.
For those of you that are unaware, I worked at the ISC at Curtin (Bentley) for my work experience. My main activity was to organise an event for Harmony Day, which then got changed to a different time and was now called Curtin Diversity Day. The event would allow Curtin students to know more about the different Clubs present at Curtin and how to join them. I was working alongside with the Human Resources Officer and we had to do everything from scratch (almost, I only had one 2006 report about the activity).
First tip: Check that the date does not clash!
Do you remember your lecturers telling you than because I do!!!! Even more now that it has happened to me! Well, the date for Harmony Day was already chosen but what I did not know was that the Curtin Guild on that day was organising a completely unrelated event. I learnt that, the week before. Immediately, I was got into contact with all the Clubs and we thus changed the date. I tripled check that nothing was happening on the same day.
Second tip: Check your booking!
I thought that once I had done all the paper work that was it. But no, unfortunately, the Guild has double-booked its tables and when I went to collect my tables, they were all gone! The lady apologised but that did not help me, had I checked it the previous day, I would have been able to arrange it with Curtin Properties (that gives out tables and chairs).
Third tip: Maintain healthy relationships
Ok, so how did I get the tables??? Well, one of my friends is the President of Curtin Volunteers, I called her and straight away she was able to find TEN tables for me. Additionally, because I had maintained a positive relationship with the different Clubs, when I told them the date has changed, they were understanding and very co-operative.
Fourth tip: Smile and be positive
Not everything went bad on the day, there were some very good moments too. For instance we were able to get sponsors and this helped us give out 300 Halal sausage sizzles on the day. It also paid for our performance (that was very good). One common aspect everyone told me on the day was, “How are you so smiley and calm when everything is falling apart”. Thing is, everything is not falling apart, concentrate on what the problem is and just fix it. Also, if you are negative about it all, chances are you will not succeed into finding a solution.
So here, was a little summary of the tips that I thought would be helpful for everyone doing their work experience, about to do it or just surfing through this blog.
I have a few other pictures here http://picasaweb.google.com.au/pasemilie/CurtinDiversityDay?authkey=Gv1sRgCIWIzLGKqfWW1QE&feat=directlink if you want to have a look.
3 comments:
Hey Emilie,
I think it's great that you've uploaded some photos to the blog it makes a difference being able to see what you've been up to and not just read! It sort of ties in with the idea that images attract peoples attention to read on, exactly what i am finding out as i layout the next issue of the magazine at my placement, people need to be enticed and images are often the way to go!
It also sounds as though your event was the perfect opportunity to realise how important everything we've heard at uni really is. Great job on keeping your chin up and tackling the little challenges throuhgout the day!
They are such simple little tips but they are so essential and will help lots of us. Thanks!!!
Emily
Hi,
Thanks for sharing some of your photos with us, it is a great idea to attract people’s attention on what you have to share with us, and It seem that you had great fun in organising this event.
I am myself a member of a student association at Curtin University and I have been organising a few events for this association. I can say that I had fun doing PR activities at Curtin and I learned a lot from it. However, I decided to find a work outside uni for my PR pract to have more experience in the PR department and found a placement in a small marketing firm. I can say that I had a great time working in this company as they taught me new skills in some of the design computer programs and helped me improve my abilities. They completely included me in the working team and even brought me to clients meeting, which really helped me get more confidence in myself.
However, my opinion from my past experiences in working inside and outside uni is that:
- It is normal to learn more about the real world when you work in a company; however, it is not always true that we learn more in the job pract. Based on my experience, I can say that I learned much more in PR while working at Uni than in the job pract. The difference between PR and marketing is still a bit hard for me to see as they are quite related and similar to each other.
To conclude, I would say that working inside Uni in the PR department was more helpful than working in a company.
Well done again for your event :)
Post a Comment