Sunday, May 24, 2009

PR and Wine - What a lovely combination!

Hi everyone!

Well I completed my placement at Leeuwin Estate a few weeks ago now and have just been working on the final report! The professional practice unit is by far the best unit I’ve taken throughout the duration of my studies. With the intent of one day doing PR in the wine industry I was so grateful to be able to complete my placement at Leeuwin Estate - one of the most highly acclaimed winery in the world.

While most of my placement was predominately focused on public relations in terms of event development and implementation, I was given the opportunity to be involved in a range of aspects of the organization. My first day however was a bit of a shocker with being given the task of sending out the annual Leeuwin Estate newsletter to approximately 1,800 individuals, needless to say it was very time consuming, repetitive and mind numbing but it had to be done.

However since that fateful first day things definitely improved. I was involved in aspects of the annual Leeuwin Concert ranging from compiling corporate event kits, producing information letters for specific guests and helping assist in seating arrangement for over 1,200 guests at the event. I was also given the opportunity to work with a leading Perth photographer in designing and shooting the new images for next years wine releases – it was definitely a highlight, who knew so much work and planning can go into shooting a bottle of wine!? It was also great to be involved in aspects of the event I had never considered such as the development of transportation schedules for 1,200 people and ensuring that all corporate clients had accommodation, arrived on time, etc.

I was also involved in developing information and tasting booklets for tasting evenings, aiding in development of an Easter service booklet, updating national and international mailing lists and creating wine review sheets for a number of current and previously released wines to accompany media releases. I was also given the task to research and compile data of other wineries and their associated events which was actually quite interesting to see where Leeuwin was positioned in terms of specific event aspects.

In all my placement at Leeuwin Estate was fantastic. It was great to see how a strongly branded organization with a fantastic reputation handled their public relations activities and how the reputation of an organization can be vital to success.

And so for the last time, cheers guys – thanks for reading. I hope you have all had a fantastic time at your placements!


Zoe Saunders
Curtin University (Bentley Campus)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for your feedback on your photo shoot at the Leeuwin Estate. I can't believe your photo shoot lasted for 3.5 hours. It certainly makes me realise how important it is to ask the question.. how long should we allow for the shoot and to brief the photographer. I still have a lot to learn. I think I will do a photography course at TAFE over the summer to give me some more ideas.

Your planning for the Leewin Summer 2010 concert series sounds like fun.

Good luck with your report!

Cya,
Annika

Anonymous said...

Hey,

You sound like you had a great experience at the Leeuwin Estate and im sure it was a lot of fun and hardwork. It was nice that you got to work on the concert and im sure there was a lot to do. Concerts are always fun to organise. As my corporation was really small, it is nice to hear about the big companies. I also see that you were in charge of the tasting booklets and such. I think this is a good opportunity to learn more about the different kinds of wine. Im happy for you and its good to see you had a really good experience there.