Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Work experience with HSBC Malaysia

Hello Everyone,

Hope you all are finishing up your reports without any problems. I didn’t face any major problems but I did have some trouble converting pdf files into Microsoft Word. Does anyone know how to do that? I know it may sound ignorant but I really am not good with computers at all. :S

This week I had to deal with customer care service and what a nightmare this was. Customer care service is all about dealing with and helping customers with any questions, and or problems they have about the products and services of HSBC.

About 80% of the people I dealt with had a problem or complaint rather than a question. The customer care department is already understaffed to begin with and since customers who come to this department have something to complain about, they usually already are in a bad mood. Being told to wait makes the situation worse and I found some customers to be really really rude, impatient demanding and uncooperative.

To work in this department, one needs to be understanding, tolerant, and above all have a great deal of patience. At first, I was apprehensive about working at this department as the customers don’t know that I was an intern and assumed that I was an experienced member of the staff. This added to the tension because the customers would come in and straight away start talking ‘shop’ and I not only had to digest and understand their problems but also come up with solutions and alternative options for them. In most the customers knew about the product in question more than I did and this was embarrassing for me.

By 2 weeks however, I managed to get the swing of things and had a better grasp of tackling various issues. I also made it a point to read and learn more about the bank products and services offered and therefore I was more knowledgeable and better equipped to help the customers out. It was only at this point that I had more confidence and started to enjoy the work assigned to me.

1 comment:

Luke Butcher said...

i am lucky not to have experienced what you did with regards to the complaints made by people. Obviously PR is centered on communication, but not that type of one way, negative communication.

However, no doubt you have built up a resolve to such dealings and will be better of for it. its interesting to think if in a time like that whether one freaks out or recalls their PR instincts and manages to get something out of the communication.