Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The significance of networking and relationship building...

Hi All!

After five official days at Sunset Events I have begun to ponder the importance and, I dare say, the necessity of networking and relationship building with regards to events development and management. In particular I bare reference to the sourcing of an invitations/guest lists for anniversary/launch parties for new products/services and other internal events.

This became of immediate relevance to me in particular, as I spent numerous hours on the internet discovering the cool and trendy bars, music venues, galleries, restaurants etc around Perth and then another countless amount of hours ringing these establishments for contact details and confirmation of mailing/email and other informations (needless to say, I'm a pro on the phone now, haha!)

During this process I wondered whether it would be the exact same case for every event to follow, whereby the poor little office intern for that particular day/week/month would do exactly the same tedious tasks as I had done, or whether the contacts made throughout my search would be forever aligned with the organisation from that point on?

...Also, would the task have been a little less involved and time consuming had it focussed primarily on persons and organisations already affiliated with Sunset? Or would the event have been seen as lacking variety, scope and relevance if it were completed in this way?

What's your take on the situation?

--

Unrelated to the topic at hand, here are a few little highlights of my time at Sunset so far:
  • Birthday cake for morning tea (yum!);
  • Learning how to and performing my first mail merge (yay!) and;
  • Seeing the final product, being invitations, sealed and addressed in their envelopes- of which I was involved with sourcing, quoting and compiling all of the elements =)

Signing off for now,

Ana B (Bentley Campus).

No comments: