Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Grand openings, burn outs and TV interviews

Today was by far the most exciting and interesting day of my professional placement at the RAC so far.

It was the opening of the newly acquisitioned Driver Training and Education Centre (DTEC), which is a purpose-built facility that provides post-license driver training courses to a range of people for different purposes. The RAC Driving Centre encompasses six safe and secure driving tracks on which driver education and training is conducted for a wide variety of vehicles. These training programs include Defensive Driving, Four Wheel Driving, Motorcycle Training, Forklift Licenses, First Aid Training, Performance Driving, and Heavy Vehicle (Truck) Operation.

My supervisor and I arrived at the facility at 8am to oversee the setting up of the event. As this was a joint organisational effort between The DTEC staff and the RAC Head Office, they dealt with the specifics of the day, whilst we organised the guest list and the schedule. A number of important guests were invited to the opening, including Ministers, RAC councillors, the RAC Executive Team, as well as many members of motoring and road safety organisations, and the media.

Prior to the opening speeches made by the Minister for Police, Emergency Services and Road Safety Rob Johnson, and RAC president Alden Hause, my supervisor briefed a couple of the members of the media about the latest RAC survey results and media release regarding the opening of the facility. This was done in order to assist the reporters in building their stories and provide them with solid verifiable facts. Reporters and cameramen from GWN News, WIN news, Channel 9 News, and Channel 7 News attended the opening and were given access to interview the relevant spokespeople and obtain footage.

The official ribbon cutting took place in the foyer with Minister Rob Johnson and Alden Hause in the presence of a photographer and the Executive Team. My supervisor directed the photos and decided who would be in them and where they were to be situated.

This was then followed by a test-drive for the guest and media, to attain an insight into what kind of training is done at the centre. The best part about this test-drive is that I was the guinea pig who did the driving! I was filmed getting into the car and driving around a track, with an instructor who simulated dangerous driving conditions and situations. The media were filming the whole thing from beside the track, and there was a cameraman inside the car as well. To be honest, it was a little scary, as the car was skidding everywhere and I had to gun the car and then slam on my brakes, but it was a very fun and exciting experience! And on the plus side, I didn’t knock over any cones!

After the test drive, I had an interview with the media about the experience and also what it is like driving on the roads as a young female driver who is newly off her P’s. This was very nerve-wracking, as the interview will be on news stations tonight!! I was briefed beforehand by my supervisor, about what type of questions they may ask me, so I was somewhat prepared. We stood out the front of the Driving Centre and I had to remember to look in between the cameras and not directly at them (which is harder than it seems, as it is rather odd talking to a tree!) whilst the reporters were asking questions. I tried to remember what I’ve been taught about public speaking – clarity, concise sentences, calm body language – so I think I executed it quite well. In my responses, I referred to the RAC and the driving centre, and also a personal anecdote, to sound humanly and natural. My supervisor said that I did very well, so hopefully I did!

From a public relations perspective, it was very insightful to be the one in front of the cameras being put on the spot. As I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I was rather impressed with the RAC’s spokesman and his natural ability at public speaking, especially to the media. I never really appreciated how difficult it actually is, as everything goes out of your head when the cameras are on you! However, it has given me a lot more confidence, especially if I ever had to do it again, and a first-hand knowledge when I need to instruct others how to act on camera. The journalists were also very friendly and helpful whilst asking questions, which made it a lot easier and relaxing.

So my experience at the RAC just seems to be getting better and better!

Amanda

3 comments:

Chicken Butt said...

Wow! That's wonderful, I would be having a camera shy moment if I were there. But of course it will build up the confident, good for you =)
Being a spokesperson is hard, its important to know everything and knows how to speak well. =)
Keep it up!
All the best!

Regards, Agnes

Chicken Butt said...

Wow! That's wonderful, I would be having a camera shy moment if I were there. But of course it will build up the confident, good for you =)
Being a spokesperson is hard, its important to know everything and knows how to speak well. =)
Keep it up!
All the best!

Regards, Agnes

missamandaj said...

Thanks! It was very exciting, but a bit scary at the same time. It was a lot of fun though and really insightful, because I got to feel what it's like having questions fired a you and the need to think on your feet and know what you're talking about!

Very helpful!

Amanda