Wednesday, August 12, 2009

DEVAHASDIN COMMUNICATIONS

Hey everyone,

I have completed four days of my work experience so far at Devahasdin Communications in West Perth, (Western Australia).
Devahasdin Communications is a PR consultancy and has worked for an extensive range of big and small businesses, locally, nationally and internationally, so it is interesting to see how they have built up their reputation and credentials over the 15 years since first established.

At first I was really interested in the fact that the owner and account director, Sandra Devahasdin had actually established the business with only event management and a little PR experience behind her, and no official training or education in either field. I suppose this would be a perfect example of a PR weakness - demonstrating how easily someone can become a PR professional with no background theoretical knowledge. However Devahasdin PR has attained and maintained an 'elite- ness' that is made evident in their testimonials and past clients, which demonstrates their work ethic, professionalism and attention to detail of client expectations.

Over the four days I have done so far, the admin girl has been away and therefore I have been mixing admin jobs with PR related work (I have decided admin isn't as fun or interesting).

I have managed to work on a few items, the first for example was a media release for shopping at Westfield Shopping Centre's for Father's Day. I'm not sure about anyone else, but the way I learnt to write a media release was slightly different to how David (one of Devahasdin's consultant's) expected me to write this one. Besides getting the '5 W's' and how' into the first paragraph, he wanted me to 'flower' it up with wording that was not succinct and concise. In the end it looked just like an advertorial, or even a short speech, instead of a release detailing just the facts. I think in the end he kept my first paragraph and a few lines elsewhere and added in quite a bit of alliteration and descriptive wording. After asking him about how differently I'd learnt in uni, he just said 'that's fashion for you'. So I'm confused now ...any advice?

Another piece I helped with, was a campaign that they recently received a brief on involving underage smoking in Indigenous communities in Queensland. Two consultants and myself brainstormed on PR involvement in the campaign and I offered some ideas that were acknowledged, accepted and recorded -good response I guess?

But lastly the other main item I've worked on is the plan for the Town of Bassendean's Multicultural Food Festival, which will be held in October of this year. The event was held last year and Devahasdin did the PR for it then as well, however the plan needed updating and so I worked on that for a day.

One exciting thing that I'm looking forward to, is the launch of the joining of The West with Yahoo. Devahasdin is managing the launch and I get to attend!

So far I feel like I need to just be handed something and be told 'do it' because whilst I appreciate being given items to work on, I don't feel like I'm achieving anything or displaying any real PR talent or knowledge in retyping, updating, highlighting etc. I realise I have to start somewhere but I think at the moment both the consultants are so busy with their workloads that they are handing me pieces of work that they'll fix up later just to keep me quiet...hm

Anyway they seem very professional, the business is very aesthetically pleasing and the consultants are relatively inviting and friendly, and i assume they are doing business ethically. This week I will ask to see how ethically they are completing their work...

bye!
CourtneyB

1 comment:

Chicken Butt said...

Hello there!
Its great to hear that you did a lot even only for just 4 days...
I did some admin works too... Filing and labeling and such. Its quite boring. But somehow, I learned how to be organized. =) All the best to you in the internship. Update us again ya... =)
Cheers~

Regards, Agnes