Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Man in the profession

hi..

hope you are all doing great and that yuour internship is going on fine!Im sure you must be enjoying your study break as well..

I would like to share my views on PR as a profession for woman only..
Well, its known that woman practice the job more efficiently than man due to our charisma! Well... after being on my internship, I dont have the same point of view anymore.. But i cant generalise as well.
Just that i guess man can handle it as much as we can!
For example, at TOTEM, there are 2 guys, a project manager for PR, and the manager of totem, who deal very smartly the PR stuffs.
the project manager once had to organise a photo shooting for a security company, BRINKS, so ad agencies sent pictures of models for brinks. But, the models were too "models" for this kind of campaign.. where they required people of coloured skin, not too young and not too fashionable.. So I found this a very difficult task as being a guy, I guess he would not have the courage to handle this matter well. But eventually, he phone the agency to say that he didnt required those fashionable models.
Moreover, the guys at TOTEM working in the PR dept know how to talk to clients as much as we woman would do in the profession. they know when, where and what to say.. We would have used more of our "feminine skills" I would say to talk to clients, But I was once with some PR guys at work on a meeting with a client to propose our services of newsletter.. So, I was very impressed how the project manager handle the conversation compared to another woman working at TOTEM.

After this reflection,I think that it also depends on the inner qualities of a person, not only the gender facet..

Sabrina
XOXO

3 comments:

Dina Junaidi said...

Hi Sabrina,

I would like to share my thoughts on your post about gender facts in PR industry. I personally agree with you, to think that there's no barrier between women and men in this industry. I believe that anyone can be successful if they know what they're doing and be able to show their confidence during dealing with clients. For me, the most important thing, despite for women or men in the PR industry is being able to express themselves, be confident, charismatic, committed to their work and be professional on what they do. As long as they have all that, I'm sure any women or men can be on the same line this industry. =)

Regards,
Rusydina Junaidi
LUCT

gemma said...

Hi Sabrina,

My supervisor is a man as well and I totally agree that they can be very effective in the field of PR!

He is really good at communication and building relationships. He gives everyone he meets a feeling of complete confidence in him but never comes across as arrogant or obnoxious.

While I think that "general" characteristics of women are more often associated with PR work, men often embody some of these characteristics and bring new ones to the role. My supervisor seems to be able to talk to anyone and always has an air of confidence.

It may just be because I'm new to the job and still nervous and a bit shy that I notice this! But I think that there is a fine line between coming across as arrogant or just confident that’s very important to understand that as PR professional and I think that he pulls it off very well.

I think that this is the main reason that he retains the position of PR Manager and is such an important part of working in the industry.

Gemma

Anonymous said...

Hello Sabrina,

Very interesting entry indeed! Cheers!

I totally agree with you regarding the gender issue. In my department, the internal and media relations section, all my colleagues were women. But my coordinator was a man. It is generally believed that women are fit to be in the PR field because they are charismatic. But let me tell you that men also can be charismatic. My coordinator has such a personality and during my internship, I never thought that a woman would have done better. He is convincing and knows his profession well. In fact, I have learnt a lot from him.

It’s not only my supervisor. There are other men working in other sections of the communication department where I worked. I take for example the events and logistics section. I have seen men working hard, planning each detail of upcoming events. So, it would be foolish to say that women are more patient than men and that’s why they should be in PR. I believe what matters is personality, level of professionalism and how far you know your profession and are dedicated to it. It does not matter whether you are a male or a female if at the end of the day the results are the same.

Passion is also important! During my internship, I have seen men who really like to be in the challenging PR field and they are doing a great job. In fact, one thing I have noticed is that, men handle stress a bit better. When I used to discuss women in PR with friends and dear ones before going on internship, stress and workload was one element that I was using to illustrate that PR is not made for men. I used to say that women can handle pressure better and that’s why we find many of them in the profession. But how wrong I was!! I have seen my women colleagues get stressed when under pressure while their male counterparts were still cool and doing a fine job under the same circumstance.

So my conclusion, both men and women are suitable to be in the profession and it is not gender that will say the contrary. In fact, it’s personality and attitude that makes the difference and this applies to all professional fields. Gender should not be an issue in the professional world. If men and women work together, think strategically together and respect each other’s point of view, I believe the final product will be a better one. At least, this is what I noticed in the Communication SBU of the MCB.

Regards
Youshrina ;)