Hi everyone,
My name is Edith and I am doing my placement at NRC Communications in Perth. NRC is a PR consultancy operating within the entertainment industry (with a focus on film distributors as their clients).
Having worked in the film industry for a number of years, it was a huge jump to begin doing my placement on the “other side”. Having said that, I am really enjoying it so far. Most people would think that films look after themselves (I know I always did – anyone have any other thoughts?)… but it’s amazing to see the amount of work that goes into a film pre-release in order to increase awareness and drive admissions.
So far, I have assisted in mail-outs to various media outlets in Perth, helped prepare publicity reports and written a media release. In all honesty, writing the media release was nerve-racking seeing as previously I’d only had to write them as part of assignments… at the end though I was proud of my efforts and I think my supervisor was too.
I’ve also helped run a special 15 minute preview screening of the film Avatar which is due out in December. I have both assisted and run events before, but the amount of preparation needed for something which only runs for 15 minutes is mind-boggling. And definitely worth it when by the end of it, everything has gone smoothly.
What have I learnt from this? Organisation is of the utmost importance not only for events but in working for a consultancy… prioritising tasks (and further, knowing which tasks to prioritise) is defintely the key in helping you to stay afloat when you have a thousand things to do.
My name is Edith and I am doing my placement at NRC Communications in Perth. NRC is a PR consultancy operating within the entertainment industry (with a focus on film distributors as their clients).
Having worked in the film industry for a number of years, it was a huge jump to begin doing my placement on the “other side”. Having said that, I am really enjoying it so far. Most people would think that films look after themselves (I know I always did – anyone have any other thoughts?)… but it’s amazing to see the amount of work that goes into a film pre-release in order to increase awareness and drive admissions.
So far, I have assisted in mail-outs to various media outlets in Perth, helped prepare publicity reports and written a media release. In all honesty, writing the media release was nerve-racking seeing as previously I’d only had to write them as part of assignments… at the end though I was proud of my efforts and I think my supervisor was too.
I’ve also helped run a special 15 minute preview screening of the film Avatar which is due out in December. I have both assisted and run events before, but the amount of preparation needed for something which only runs for 15 minutes is mind-boggling. And definitely worth it when by the end of it, everything has gone smoothly.
What have I learnt from this? Organisation is of the utmost importance not only for events but in working for a consultancy… prioritising tasks (and further, knowing which tasks to prioritise) is defintely the key in helping you to stay afloat when you have a thousand things to do.
Edith Vozarevic
Bentley Campus
1 comment:
The work you are doing sounds so exciting! I have also found that organisation is the key to success in this field. I have found that so many of the people working in g the office with me don't organise their day like we have been taught. They do a project and wait for another to come along in the mean time. It's quite suprising. That may be a difference between government and private practices.
Cheers
Bec
Post a Comment