Tuesday, October 27, 2009

nearing the end...

As the semester is drawing to an end so is my placement at Minter Ellison. All up I really couldn’t have asked for a better place to work for free for twenty days haha just joking I really do believe this work experience has exceeded my expectations and been beyond valuable in determining what I want for and from a career and has also got me excited about getting out there.

The team and Minters have been wonderful and haven’t just thrown tasks at me, they have sat down and taught me the whole process from start to finish –providing real guidance so that they eventually could just through tasks at me as I knew what was required. I was exposed to all facets of the work the team do and was always encouraged to ask to be shown things I was interested in learning. I really enjoyed being so busy as the days went really fast and it was made a more enjoyable experience to know that my help was of great worth.

Earlier this year I did some work experience at a marketing consultancy. I found it very interesting and insightful to have worked for both spectrums as it has allowed myself to compare and contrast the two and consequently establish what I preferred. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at both places but can defiantly see myself choosing a career for a company in-house over a consultancy if the chance arose. I just feel as though there is a greater sense of team work and collaboration, the stress and overtime (while it exists in both) was exuberant at the consultancy and in the end I felt like the work I was doing at Minters was valued more highly.

It really goes to show how important getting out there and experiencing hands on what you have been studying for almost three years is, and the more experience you can expose yourself to the better!

jaleesa

2 comments:

Cathia Hung said...

Hi Jaleesa, your post is very enjoying, especially the first part. I just ended my internship tomorrow, while I had to finish like one week ago, but as I was on an event which was to take place like one and a half week after my last day, I found this unprofessional to start something and not end it, so I stayed another week.. Knowing that I had to stay another 1 and a half week while I was suppose to finish, really bug me and I was waiting for my last day impatiently and now that I have finished, I feel a sense of nostalgia.
Unfortunately it is my first internship and I cannot compare it with other past experiences, but working in the only brand integrated agency in Mauritius, I get an insight of the whole process of communication; I had the chance to see how the marketing section works, as well as the studio, the graphic designer and finally the PR section. It was nice to see the whole agency working together at the approach of deadlines and under pressure, the importance of the team work.
This also allows me to get a better idea of what I want to do later and raise preferences in the event organisation; among all the other things I had to do. Unfortunately, I had not been given the occasion to be in the organisation of events, but more in the liaison with the journalist and clients.
It is my first internship, but I work part time as hostess in an event agency that is why perhaps, my preferences go there.
I totally agree with you with the importance of experiencing the real world, books and lectures teaches you the theory but putting everything in practice had been quite, intimidating and impressive, but yet so amazing, interesting, even though not always enjoyable.
Enjoy the last few days you have there.
Cathia

Cathia Hung said...

humm i meant, i just ended my internship, yesterday, sorry..