I'm currently in France for the Christmas break and I have finished the first month of my placement. This first month has been amazing. Indeed, I have accomplished several big projects.
First, last Friday was the graduation night for our 250 postgraduate students. The night went very well. I had several important tasks during the event and was the responsible for the welcome area and the DJ.
I really liked this event as I have been involved since the beginning; "before, during and after". Indeed, before this event I thought that an event was a story of “before” and “during”, but in reality the “after” is as important as the previous steps. We had to check everything before leaving. The 3 days following the event were also focused on writing a report of the event. This step is very important as it is the only trace of what happened. Moreover, it is the only way to improve an event because reporting on an event helps to evaluate the success of the event.
The Student Experience Team, the event team for the graduation night.
Myself: Event coordinator, Rebecca: Project Manager, Aida: Assistant Project Manager
Venue for the Graduation night
Venue for the Graduation night
The Business Associate Dean delivering a diploma to a student
The two last weeks have also been full of important decisions as we had to find the venue for my big project “The Welcome Function”. Good news, we have found the place- after several visits, discussions and meetings - we have booked the Crown Casino in Melbourne City. This has probably been the best experience within the first month.
The front of the venue for the welcome function (the Crown Casino)
The venue view from inside (studio 3)
The venue view from the right side (studio 3)
Now that we have found the venue we need to work on the event itself.
I have also finished updating a brochure called "the Companion". This brochure was created 3 years ago to help new students to settle down in Melbourne. At the beginning of January I'm going to meet with the Melbourne University designer in order to introduce the new Companion for 2010. The designer will have one month to produce the new brochure with my help. This project is very exciting.
Finally, during the last week I have started to work with the marketing department on a massive media clipping. This task is less exciting but makes me practice what I learnt in my PR media unit.
I'm going back to Melbourne on the 3rd of January and will be working on the 4th of January. The focus of the first week will be to proofread the brochure "Companion", to check all the orders for the welcome pack, to keep going with the preparation of the Welcome party and to start the preparation for the orientation weeks.
I wish a Merry Christmas to everyone.
1 comment:
Hi!
I am happy for you that you do really really enjoy the work on event management and projects. I guess you are a very hard working student and it motivates me to get more involved and engaged in events tasks. The aftermath of the event is the best aspect even though all people will be tired of preparations before and during the event.
I wish you all the best in 2010 Companion brochure.
Thank you,
Tbaona, LUCT
Post a Comment