Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
confidence, time and formal wear and coffee making....
Hi i am Kelly from Luct, in Cyberjaya, Malaysia. I would like to share with you my experience during my internship period. As a student from a senior school then to a University i never worked in any field before, so getting to my internship period i never thought i will make it. That was my first time to be in an office even though we were told how to behave on our previous classes it was never as easy as it was spoken in the classroom. On my first days after my interview my Manager sat me down and told me that shyness won’t take me anywhere....that was the first statement i heard from him...he told me that in today`s working places communication is the key to success, he told me that i can reason very well but the problem was that i don’t know how to deliver my points due to my shyness. I took this person it took me a week after a week i was able to look at my Manager and my fellow workers’ faces and tell them my views.....they were all happy for me and complimented me, this was the first thing learned. Then time came in, Since from my younger age i have never been time conscious at school because i believed that the highest they can do is to cane me or get me to do any work in school as punishment. I knew that it won’t affect my marks but when it came to work it was another thing my time unconsciousness mattered a lot, i knew it will mark my performance down , delay my workmates too and customers... so i had to be always on time on both opening the gates and submitting my work on time. From Observation i learnt how to wear in a presentable wear in a working area especially in a Muslim country i had to avoid exposing my body and i had to talk slowly so that the locals can hear and understand me.. When our lecture told us that when we get there we are going to make coffee i thought it was a joke, i swear at my work i learnt how to make professional coffee every time we had our breakfast with costumers they always complimented my coffee of which i never knew how to make before. These were the first three main things that my Manager told me it will boost up my working performance and make me enjoy my work. All this is what i learnt on my first week and since this is just the beginning i believe i am still going to learn a lot here in PLUSXPERT.
Labels:
cyberjaya,
KELLY MAPHY,
Luct
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hey dear
I guess I must visit you to your office to have that coffee.
Yah dear time is very important and we have to take it serious, if not we will regret so much, time wasted never returns, we have to pull up our socks for us to learn and be time conscious always so that our performance cannot be affected.
Dear those words Shyness wont take you anywhere its like they were for me anyway I will take them serious because I am still struggling with my confidence.
Be bleesed dear
Bantle, LUCT
I have the same weakness as you. Well, to be exact, I am actually not that ‘shy’, just…I am not comfortable with public speaking. It’s kind of phobia that I can’t get rid of! Anyway, I am now trying to confront it as I know I have to. Being a PR officer, speaking and communicating with people is unavoidable. Moreover, it’s not only about communication, it’s about how to communicate effectively. Therefore, good communication skill is very important.
I think we all need to be more confident and learn how to build up our confidence. Cheer up girl, we can make it! :)
p.s: I didn’t learn coffee-making, but I did learn how to use fax machine! Haha
Jenice
Confidence is definitely key to success in life not just in work! I like that your boss sat you down and told you that shyness won't get you anyway, subconciously that mustve been really good for you because youre basically being given permission to speak your mind. I was once told that "there is no backwards in coming forwards"; a pretty similar idea. Hard putting it into practice though!
i think a lot of people will not admit that they have some personal issues which they find difficult to cope with.having the courage to openly talk about it i would say is the first step to dealing with those issues.
in the PR field you must watch out for personal issues like shyness which might work against you on this corporate race!
wish you all the best!
Post a Comment