Hello everyone, My name is Tiny and I am one of the interns and your colleague too. I am attached to the Public Relations company known as PDQ. I Just started my industrial training few days ago but it seems like I have 2 months there. I would like to say PDQ is open when it comes to their interns, communication wise. Upon completion of my industrial training I should be exposed to the following areas with PDQ: Media monitoring, Organizing Press events (if any during training period), Drafting Press Release, Liaising with Press, Reporting, Creative Development Procedures, Client Liaison, Contact Reports, meeting Coordination, Research, Job briefs (if any during training period, work in Progress, Liaising with other internal Departments and proposals/quotations to clients. (the list is endless) that is why I am saying its like I have 2 months. Before I go further, PDQ have many clients and this makes us more active and meet the deadlines.
So to start with, there is what is termed media monitoring in Public Relations, It is the activity of monitoring the output of the print and broadcast media if you all remember from our PR classes. In the morning, before I even sit on my chair, I grab one newspaper or two to my table I am expected to go through the newspaper and find the articles related to the clients that PDQ deals with, cut out the article, scan and save under the particular file of the client. The purpose of media monitoring is to analyse and provide feedback to our clients in the form of press clippings, daily monitoring reports and media analysis. It also helps us to have access to news information created by the media . The other importance is to create a link between the media and their audience, I like this because someone cannot escape the media monitoring which takes an hour or so.
Apart from media monitoring there is media tracking, this is whereby the attendance if I may call it that way, is taken after reading the newspaper, I have to record that Tiny Tshukudu has read this certain newspaper and others as they follow. I had no experience on media tracking it sounds fun because if you do not read a newspaper it will show at the end. Enough about media monitoring and media tracking.
Following the media or calling the media is another stressful task ever, but I have built my confidence on this one. Someone has to be patient because you might not understand the language they are using but you have to go over and over again till the two of you understand each other.
I would like to say there is still more to come this was just to pass by, like I said before the above mentioned are my training schedule. Oh!!! before I forget communication in PDQ is of high standard, I cannot complain on their communication, its ever busy in the office.
Wait for more from me because I am still working on something which will be beneficial to you all when I bring it to the table for discussion.
Have a blessed and productive week ahead.
Tiny Diakanyeng
6 comments:
Wow...I'm so pleased that I had the opportunity to read your comment and I'm happy that you finally got a placement.
Well, it seems media monitoring get to be one of the major concept practiced in every organization; i believe all students now know exactly what it is. Here we do it every Monday.Here since I'm working for Ministry of Environment and tourism; we carry out media monitoring for all 7 departments within the ministry. Interesting anyway, although tiring sometimes but it does helps the ministry to know all the information given out to the public.
I wouldn't say i am enjoying government PR anyway, although there are opportunities anyway but I'm not product of government.It seems you are going to deal with lot of things and I hope you will enjoy.
Best of luck and have a good day. I'm going for a communication plan meeting.
Good day.
Tefo Linchwe
Thank you Tefo for your comment, its appreciated.
I would agree with your statement which says we are now used to media monitoring because now I get to do it even when I am at home. I never knew clippings are also called media monitoring till I started my training in PDQ. I remember we did media Clippings in our PR250 Media class, and I am happy for I have been using the skills within the company.
PDQ is a PR/Marketing Communications Company so we deal with PR in most cases. Within the period I have been here I have learnt that you cannot do any task on your own even if its given specifically to you trust me there and after you have to ask for help which at the end is termed communication on its own, so what I am trying to say is communication build the relationship between the trainee and the supervisor.
Like I said before on my original post we do media tracking so I do not know whether most companies do media tracking like we do or is it only media monitoring?
Anyway lets wait and see when times goes on. Thank you
Hi Tiny
Welcome to the world of 'the interns'.At first you feel like the lost sheep as everyone overlooks you,but from then on,it's amazing how much work they'l throw at you at once, and expect you to be done with it at a given time.Even they themselves don't set such times upon themselves.
But Its all part of the learning experience,working under pressure and meeting deadlines, there is absolutely no room for error.
From my experience so far,Media monitoring is probably the core of Pr.Where I work(Hotwire pr & marketing),iv been given the duty of media reporting,amongst many others, and I literally do what you do, read all newspapers everyday and look out for news or articles involving any of our clients and analyzing them intensely.
What I like about this generally,is that I get to be updated on the current affairs too, further on to which I get to scope out on the environment the company is in and the clients.
Other than that enjoy yourself, be initiative and creative.
Goodluck!
tumelo tafila
Thank you Tumelo for your comment, nowadays its a norm for me to read newspapers every morning. Its like my mind is programmed to do so.
Like I said before I am working on my document which I will elaborate more on when time goes on. Its not easy though but I believe there is nothing easy as ,much as nothing hard in the industry, the more effort and time is given to it the more it becomes perfect and done.
Lets keep on doing more work for this will make us perfect and professionals at the end.More and more media monitoring......
Best Regards
HI Tiny
Iam so happy that you were able to post something after what we have gone through with our blogs.
I agree with Tefo,it seems everyone was dealing with media monitoring.I was told the same by my supervisor, to grab and read one newspaper twice a day and see what the information is given to the public.
Deadline is one crucial thing,in the pr field you work under pressure.Its not easy as one will think,and everyone will be throwing a piece of work to do,even attending conferences,events,calling our clients is a work of intern.
But at the end of the day,you enjoy a lot.
All the best Tiny
Esther Amogelang
L.U.CT
Hi Tiny
Welcome to the world of 'the interns'.At first you feel like the lost sheep as everyone overlooks you,but from then on,it's amazing how much work they'l throw at you at once, and expect you to be done with it at a given time.Even they themselves don't set such times upon themselves.
But Its all part of the learning experience,working under pressure and meeting deadlines, there is absolutely no room for error.
From my experience so far,Media monitoring is probably the core of Pr.Where I work(Hotwire pr & marketing),iv been given the duty of media reporting,amongst many others, and I literally do what you do, read all newspapers everyday and look out for news or articles involving any of our clients and analyzing them intensely.
What I like about this generally,is that I get to be updated on the current affairs too, further on to which I get to scope out on the environment the company is in and the clients.
Other than that enjoy yourself, be initiative and creative.
Goodluck!
tumelo tafila
Post a Comment