Blog number one!!!
Ok, so I have been a little bit behind the eight ball with my blogging; this is my first blog... And I have all but completed my placement!
Therefore I am going to do a bit of a retrospective look at my time, how I found my placement, what I initially thought about my prospective role, how I progressed with my tasks and what I feel now I have finished my placement and am looking at the daunting task of graduating and getting a ‘real’ job!
So I started to look for a placement as soon I got home from my Christmas holiday. It started with me reading an article about brain cancer in the paper which prompted me to contact the cancer council. So I contacted them and sent my resume. It turned out to be my old copy of my resume! Woops, so I learnt to be very certain about what I was attaching very early on. While I did send them the correct copy of my resume they never got back to me and when I called them a week later they apologised and said they weren’t looking for anyone.
From there I approached WA tourism through a contact of mine, I looked at possible mining companies and contacted a lady from Alcoa, and she was very helpful but could only take someone in the second half of the year. By this time I was fairly despondent. So when I was visiting a friend in the Swan Valley I asked if she knew of anything I could do, she told me about a lady at the City of Swan who was looking to start a PR strategy for food in the Swan Valley. I happened to know her as she was my tutor for tourism and leisure marketing a few semesters ago, I went home, got her contact details off the internet and I called her that day, she said to send my resume through and by the end of the day she had said that she would love to have me, when could I start and could I send through insurance asap! It was so uplifting to finally be accepted somewhere as I had really started to lose hope.
I started my work with the City of Swan a week later.
The moral of my story: don’t give up and if you are, just ask, chances are that someone you know will know someone and it will all be ok!
End of story one.
Robyn
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment