Friday 28th May was my first day at GT Media. The first part of the day was basically an induction as to what I would be required to do. As soon as this was complete I was told to read the newspaper and news online. I know that this would be a really good habit to get into so I'm going to try and find the time to read the news at least once a day.
I was then asked to attend a meeting with one of their non profit organisations, Heart Kids. It was interesting because the consultant handling the PR work was actually just about to graduate with the same degree as me. So basically she was in the same position in terms of study as me, but she was lucky enough to have a job in PR already!
I took notes from the meeting and tried to pick up on all the facts and info that I had missed so far. It was interesting how much I learnt just sitting in on a real life client consultant meeting. I took note on the formalities and what was discussed. It seemed fairly informal but that may be because it was a non profit organisation for young kids.
After the meeting I was sent a few emails from the other consultants with tasks to complete for the end of the day. It was very different trying to focus on tasks and receive emails at the same time. Usually I do one or the other at home because emails are too distracting! I was asked to come up with some media startegies for their existing clients. It was really good to be able to research a real client to see what would be the best option for them in terms of increasing awareness and media relations.
They showed me a few templates they use for their communication strategies which were really useful. I found they helped to keep me focused on coming up with strategies to achieve the goals developed. Everything links (background to goals to target audience to media) and stays consistent if you follow the template.
After working on a few communication strategies I was asked to create a media release that would be sent to my chosen media publications. I also started creating media lists to be referred to when the communication strategy was to be carried out.
I found my first day at GT Media really interesting, its amazing how much you can learn in one day. I can definately see this placement teaching me everything I need to work in the PR industry!
1 comment:
Hi Ali,
Congratulations on completing your first day of work experience. It sounds like you had a lot to do and that you enjoyed it which is fantastic.
I do agree with you, it does make a huge difference when you get to work with real life clients and provide real solutions. It is very exciting that you got to devise strategies and create media releases on your first day! It sounds like GT media is going be extremely helpful in teaching you about the ins and outs of PR.
I have just finished my internship so I thought I could offer you a few bits of advice. Firstly, be confident in your abilities. Although it can be scaring entering a real organisation as an outsider, this is a great opportunity to showcase what you've learnt in the past three years. Secondly, ask for feedback. As PR consultants are extremely busy, you might need to ask to see how your tracking. This is useful as you learn how you can improve. Lastly, keep asking for more work. This shows you are an enthusiastic employee and will keep you busy. Otherwise, all the very best. I hope you continue to enjoy your placement and get a lot of value from it.
Kind regards,
Suzi
Post a Comment