Wednesday, May 5, 2010

PR393@Curtin (literally)


(Pardon the back-dated blog post. I had problems posting up - but at least it's all good now!)


27th April 2009

Hey everyone,

It’s pretty scary to see how most of you are done with your internship while I just started mine a week ago. But never mind that. I’m Michelle, and I just started interning at Curtin Business School’s External Relations department (on Bentley). There shouldn’t be a need for me to introduce my organization, I’d presume? (:

My direct supervisor is Amber Wyatt, the Relationship Manager of CBS External Relations, but I’m also working under Glen Hutchings and Evan Nicholas, the Manager of Development at CBS and the Director of External Relations.

I’m double-majoring in Tourism Management and Public Relations. My initial plan was to infuse both my interests and intern in a PR department within a Tourism-involved organization. Unfortunately, I was too late in application – the organizations that I was interested in already had interns. Some even interns “queuing” to start. Wow. I totally didn’t see that one coming. But, over and done with, lesson learnt – always apply way in advance. Okay, consider that a tip for future internship-seekers. I must admit though, I was too preoccupied working during my vacation to even apply for any internship.

It’s my 3rd day in the office, and I’m really happy to say that everyone’s really nice! The office isn’t big; it has about 8 permanent staff and up to 4 casuals/interns. What I like about this office is that, there’s a strong team spirit in the office – something I really appreciate in a workplace. Communication is definitely crucial in a work environment too. They work together, talk about their problems and help one another out when they can. I like it here already!

There’s an event going on today for members of the newly set up Pro Vice-Chancellor Chapter. They’re heading to Mosman Bowling Club for an event of social networking, and basically time for building up their sense of belonging in that chapter. I was hoping to go, but one of the other two interns – who have been working on it for a while – will be going to assist for the event. I think I might be more of a hindrance than help? But nevertheless, it’s cool because there’s going to be another event tomorrow. YAY!

I’ll talk about it in my next blog post.

Til then.

Signing off, Michelle.

No comments: