Hi,
This is my first blog as I have just finished my first week at my placement. I am currently undertaking my placement at the Association for the Blind - Guide Dogs WA in the Community Relations department. The workplace itself is fantastic, a great place to work with very friendly people and of course dogs. As I am just settling in, this week was a little slow on the work load, doing a lot of administration work to familiarise myself with the people I'm working with and the work I will be doing.
Thus far, I have written a number of letters to clients and sponsors, one of particular interest is a sponsorship proposal written to Coles. Although they are already sponsors of the Guide Dogs, the association is looking to further this relationship and develop some more creative fundraising ideas in association with the Coles stores across WA. This resulted in a meeting with the head of marketing at Coles and we are now working on organising a raffle drive to raise money in August in order for Coles to sponsor a puppy! The project looks to take a few weeks so will see where it goes!
I have also been working on helping to write the staff newsletter. My knowledge of writing these learnt at uni has really assisted me, as much as I thought I already knew enough about writing them. Although I didn't write the newsletter myself, through editing it I have used a number of skills to assist in the layout and context. I have also assisted in the creation of the calender for 2011. This was a fun and creative task I really enjoyed and I was able to attend the proofing of the final product to see what all our hard work has resulted in!
As far as media relations are concerned, I am working on sending a media release to the West Australian for their Health and Lifestyle lift out. This is focusing on sports that people who are blind participate in which is very interesting itself. The media release is being created as a package and we are including a small gimmick to catch the newspaper editors attention which has been a fun thinking creative task!
My fist week at the association has seen the start of a number of, what look to be, exciting projects that appear to be followed throughout my time there. I am looking forward to completing and implementing the campaigns and seeing the final product in the real world! It will be exciting to know that I have worked on it and I am really looking forward to what next week has to offer!
Emma
1 comment:
Hey Emma!
It sounds like a great place to be working, first weeks can really drag out with getting to know everyone and everything. Once you have the administration work done it'll be much more fun.
It's great that even though they already have a relationship with Coles they are always trying to improve it and cement it even more because there will always be other not for profits trying to be supported by a large corporation. Did you get to sit in on the meeting between Coles and the marketing heads?
Fantastic that they give you so much work to do, rather than unpacking boxes or making coffee:) the calendar creation sounds really good, hope the final product was what you were aiming for!
Post a Comment