Saturday, July 10, 2010

GETTING MY FIRST BITE IN THE INDUSTRY

Hi guys.. nice to be back with another post. The fun is still going on at my work place, I love my workmates so much. Everyday at Salina & Associates marks the introduction of something new but not leaving behind what we did in the past days. Work is also made interesting because the employees there are not strictly focused on their work but they are just free yet busy people. They really keep me laughing at all times... :)

Well, I do media clippings everyday as the employees have to do media monitoring for their clients. The more the client events are covered in the media, the more target audience are updated. I also did a research on tea tree oil for one of our clients; Aiken. What interested me with this one is that I was expected to submit the work the following day before I knock off but I finished it in less than two hours the same day!! I then moved on to do other things I was assigned to do; opening a folder to welcome a new client - Dashing - and save it under Salina & Associates clients.

There came something new.. Book club. This is a meeting for book discussion and it was found by New Strait Times. What happens is that the editors and authors come together to discuss a book which they chose on the last meeting. The book clips will be published on NST newspaper every Wednesday for people to read about it then the meeting will be held on the last Wednesday of the month. Everyone is invited to this meeting and it starts at 6pm, I went there as well. The reason why Salina & Associates attend this meeting is to maintain their relationship with NST and other editors.

Another new thing that I did is media follow up as Salina & Associates was planning a High 5 cooking session for editors and bloggers. I was given more than twenty contact to call and ask if they received the email invitation for the event. I thought they are going to be angry with me especially for the wrong pronunciation of their names but they were not. I loved it because my supervisors trusted I can do it well that is why they gave it to me.

I am really having a great time in my job!!

Molly Tsima - LUCT

7 comments:

Bonnie Jones said...

The internship program is very insightful because time is money in the real industry.When you are given a task they expect you to do the best of your ability.Like you mentioned,the relationship with clients have to be professional and symmetrical as we were taught in theory.It shows that the basis of PR is maintaining a good relationship with the relevant stakeholders.

Molly Tsima said...

That is very true Boniface, we also have to use this opportunity to learn how to relate with the media and keep up with the fast moving working level. No time to waste now.

Godirilwe said...

hey Molly
seems like you really having fun there. wow you really deserve to be in the pr field because it requires speed and efficiency and that is what you seem to be producing. what i like most is that you are not only subjected to the everyday pr duties but are venturing into arenas where you get to be updated about what is out there. thanks for the heads up about book club.i hope you continue to get more experiences so that they help you in the future because we are counting on the skills you are aquiring to better our nation.

Naledi Rantikele- LUCT said...

helo Molly

being a real work environment is not an easy thing as we thought before..at my placement i was give a task of making calls to the board of directors for a meeting...my dear i was shaking, having the same fear of name prounciation but on the way i did well..thnx a lot to the internship we are getting exposure in many things( good communication skills through phone calls)..

Enjoy the journey we are together in this...good luck my girl

Molly Tsima said...

That is very true Godirilwe. We are acquiring this information to go and use it for the benefit of others. So we better note down what we are doing so that we don't forget it. Naledi I was so afraid as well but after making the first call I felt much better. The funny part of it is that none of the employees said anything to show that they know I am frightened, they knew I am mature enough to handle it.. :) Like Boniface mentioned, I did it with the best of my ability after calming down.

WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN...

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to hear that you are enjoying your work. How much you give to the company is determined by how much you enjoy your work place. Public Relations is not all about being serious which is always linked with professionalism. It all about having fun. What are the challenges you face during media follow up?

Molly Tsima said...

Thank you very much for the question Janet. Well, I only do media follow up when preparing for an event for one of our clients. While calling the media to confirm if they are coming, it is sad and sometimes discouraging to hear that they are not coming.. especially when you just started calling them. Say for example; the first 5 are not coming!! You may think like 'is it going to be worthy to have this event?'. There are objectives behind every event Janet, like the one you had in your company last Sunday.

In short, media follow up may be challenging if you realize the media are not coming as we need their coverage. Another thing is that they may not answer in a proper way and make u feel down.