Hello everyone!
This is my first blog post. I’m currently an intern in an advertising agency in Kuala Lumpur. J. Walter Thompson (JWT) is a respected company and my first day there was extremely nerve wrecking. I wanted to make sure I presented myself well because not only will I leave an impression on people but I was a representative of Curtin University of Technology.
What went through my mind that morning, before leaving for work, was what I had to bring in with me - my laptop, writing tools and papers (all basic office necessities). I was contemplating on bringing my public relations text book, but then I remembered I left it on my bed at Perth because it was too heavy for me to carry it back home.
The reason why I chose to do internship in Kuala Lumpur was because I have never experienced working in my home country. Sure, I’ve waitressed here and there and sold hot dogs in a shopping mall before, but I have never experienced working in an office environment. Often, I hear people from home complaining and comparing the differences between the working culture in Australia and Malaysia. I haven’t exactly worked in Australia either, but I was active in a professional development program the previous semester which operated in an office in Curtin University. Moreover, I was going to be on a holiday for a month and ten days. Most of my friends were not really happy with the fact that I’ll be working, but deep down I knew it was good for me. I had to this. If I don’t start now, I will never learn and I will never help myself. This was going to be my platform.
So there I was, with my heavy bag and dressed formally from head to toe. Little did I know I went to the wrong address. The company’s location had changed and the address that I received was incorrect. Luckily, the new office was not far from the old one so I caught a cab and rushed to the working place. I caught my breath and was grateful that I was not late. I met my supervisor; sweet person she is, Deviga Doreraja introduced me to almost everyone in the office. I had to sign some documents and I could not help myself but to observe how the others were dressed. I was slightly embarrassed because everyone seemed very calm and casual and I looked like I was going to step into a board meeting. I asked my supervisor what was the dress code and she politely answered that jeans are acceptable. Deep down, I was relieved.
My first task was to compile a media list. I was given sets of media contacts that the company had but I had to update a few contacts. Google was my best friend that day. I had to search for major newspapers, magazines, tv channels, online websites and wire contact information in Malaysia and Singapore.
I have to admit, I was so nervous on my first day.. I wasn’t even given a hard task, I have researched and compiled media lists before, but the fact that I was new to the place made me feel really scared. I left around 5pm with mixed feelings, hoping when I return the next day; I’d be less fearful and more confident with myself. For my next blog entry, I will explain more about the company that I’m interning with and more updates media lists, media lists, and media lists!
Signing off,
Liyana
1 comment:
Wow so interesting!Your first day was so interesting Liyana. How is it to get lost on the first day to work? I am happy for you because you reached at the actual place in time. About the attire, i did the same thing too. I was in formal and only to find that everyone, even the boss are in jeans. But I was proud of my self because I was so presentable.
People used to say a lot of things regarding working with people from different cultures and even religions. I was so scared because I thought whatever I heard was true. To my surprise what I'm seeing is different to what I have heard.
I am in the environment of different cultures and religions but the benefits is that I am improving my intercultural communication. I am getting to understand and learn different languages and cultures and even accepting people of different religions.
All the best!!
Boikanyo Neo Motekwane LUCT
Post a Comment