Wednesday, July 7, 2010

IT'S TIME TO EAT SOLID FOOD

Being a student in Limkokwing University of Creative Technology is turning out to be an important opportunity in my life. It's now my second year there and I can smell the outside world already - life after university. I have now realized that what I learned from all my Public Relations classes is not yet enough to step into the work industry. Day after day I learn something which I relate to reality and have to put it into practice. By the way, I am Molly Tsima; an intern with Salina & Associates Public Relations - Malaysia.

My eyes and mind are opened every time I go to the office, I am becoming more than a student. The way I used to view the world around me has also changed. I realized that I have long been fed with milk, now its time to look for solid food by myself to get ready for the work industry. No more spoon feeding and I do not have to waste any time. There will be some challenges while working on the Public Relations activities like organizing events and even relating with work mates and it takes courage to stand on solid rock and overcome those challenges. I thought the foundation I laid with class exercises, assignments and examinations is enough but I thank Salina & Associates for proving me wrong, its time to wake up and be open minded now.

Media monitoring and making clippings is what I have done so far at the office and that is the same thing I did as one of my assignments so now I am very glad I had a chance to put it in reality; doing it for the benefit of the client. We did the media monitoring to confirm that what we asked the media to publish about our client is done then we cut, scan and file them for future reference. I have not yet learned how to calculate media coverage in class but no worries for I have Salina & Associates as my lecture. It is more like attending classes during holidays and though the classes my seem to be awkward (9am-6pm), they are so productive and useful to me. Sometimes I do not realize that I spent a lot of time at work because of the fun I am having here. Moreover, I saw the importance of Public Relations in an organization. Some of them do not have it, that is why they turn to Salina & Associates PR to help them with their activities. For example;

One of the clients; High 5 Bread wanted to increase their sales and raise awareness about their brand so they put their trust upon S&A PR to help them. I had the opportunity to see their aims, objectives, strategies and tactics. How nice it is to see what you have been faking and imagining becoming real! The strategies and tactics were very strong and the target audience responded in large numbers. It was so interesting. One of the S&A PR employees proposed for the High 5 Bread competition through facebook as a way of raising awareness. I and Boikanyo, another intern, joined it and asked our friends to vote for us. The contestants had to upload their photo or video (10 seconds) enjoying High 5 Bread. The more votes they have, the more chances to win, the results are not yet published.Another competition is coming up; buy a High 5 product and fill the forms where you bought it then submit and stand a chance to win Apple i Pad. It will be continuing from the one on facebook with the same objective.

One other important thing is that without media relations there will be less chances for the success of PR activities. S&A PR is working very hard to maintain their relationship with the media through attending their (media) events. They also do media follow-ups before the events start and I know one day it will be my baby to nurse. After teaching me how to calculate media coverage, i had to do it on my own. Files packed with media clippings for clients have be given to me to work on them; first scan and save them to their respective folders, print the clipping templates and paste them followed by the calculations. The formulas may be easy to memorize but they differ from one publication to the next. Well, its a tiring work but there is no sweet without sweat.

I am so happy to be with the Salina & Associates PR, they are easy working with and so cooperative and I am looking forward to learn more in the coming weeks.

Thanx!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right Molly, we face a lot of challenges in the working industry.It seems like your company is dealing with so many clients and thats interesting and i like the whole idea that you do not have to do one and the same thing everyday and its like you are always willing to learn more which is great and please keep it up!!!

Boikanyo Neo Motekwane said...

I am so happy to be at S&A public relations Molly. Salina deals with so many clients and I used to ask myself how they manage because they are few(STAFF). Hey, its all about commitment or can I say being devoted. Commitment should be a tradition in organizations.

Botsalo Kahiya said...

Hei Molly
sounds like you have fun at the same time learning a whole lot.i am also placed under media monitoring, which is pretty interesting to actually keep track of the media in relation to what they say about our clients.The in depth of Pr is awesome as i have realized a lot about PR and its relations with the media.Its all about communication and informing the public, like u have said without the media, PR firms may not be able to reach their aim!!!
All the best Molly

Molly Tsima said...

Thank you guys. I believe you too are enjoying everything about your internship. This sounds very interesting; all of us mention the media monitoring and clippings, it makes it even clearer that Public Relations is incomplete without the media and their relationship has to be maintain in every way.
S&A has so many clients (more than 200)like Boikanyo has said but it has only eight employees who are hardworking and do not complain that the load is too heavy for them. I also learned that in S&A no man is an island, they work together to achieve their goals.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly....

Well enough of drinking milk and hello to some solid food. You right we have moved from enjoying the comfort zone of being a student into the busy working world.We are all getting our share of experiences and all can testify as easy as it was not starting off its a beautiful experience in the most reputable companies and its such a privilage one we should appreciate and be greatful about.

From all you are doing looks like you are getting along very well which is the most important thing. Thats a good thing to now. I like when you say you keep your eyes opens thats a sign for awareness of where you are and where you want to go so keep pressing on, you are right dear they will be challenges but you are a professional now, you will tackle each and every one of them in a more mature and never forget to esteem the name of your company at all times and give them everything they demand to best of your ability.

Good luck with the remaining weeks dear

Molly Tsima said...

I am indeed a professor Pearl.. every challenge calls for me to take another step up. We just have to ignore the depth of those rivers and the height of those mountains and press on forward. There will be a reward after sweating and falling down.

The journey still continues guys.. lets keep going!!