Sunday, July 4, 2010

Life time experience, "Press Conference"


Hellow guys, on my first post I told you about the awesome experience that I'm gaining over here. Now I want to tell you about my awesome company. I'm working at Go International Group situated in Damansara Kim. Its a very busy company and it has weekend events almost every week. I do like event management theory as it is imaginary, you can write whatever you want as long as it makes sense. I remember the exercises we used to do in class and how I used to pass them. I really don't know what has happened now because I see it difficult to plan for the upcoming event, "SELANGOR MUSICAL EXTRAVAGANZA"

Please help me and tell me how you tackle event planning in the real companies. We went for a press conference in Subang, Grand Dorsett Hotel. The VIP was Elizabeth Wong, Minister of Tourism, Consumer and Environment Committee Chairman. The main reason for the Press Conference was to promote Selangor as a place for Tourism attraction.

She was informing people why they should hold their concerts in Selangor. The theme of the conference was SELANGOR SHINES. The main reason is for the conference was to create awareness of Selangor and the interesting tourism products in the State. This was a good way of informing media about the upcoming event that will be held on the 26th June to 18th July 2010. Then the media will let the public to know.

Media list was updated so that media can be invited. As I already told you in the last blog about all the challenges I faced when updating he media list I still faced the same problems. We also prepared press releases, media advisory and the fact sheets to be issued to the media during the conference. Media releases, fact sheets and media advisories where prepared both in Malay and English to cater for all.

During the press conference I was in charge of the media. I asked them to register, gave them their package and showed them where to seat. It was an interesting press conference because it was not that formal. That is when I discovered that formal press conferences are boring and not interesting. The informal Press Conference is interesting and grasps more people’s attention. Music bands were also invited to entertain guests and media.

All I can say is that I had a great time in my first encounter with Press conference. Here are some of the photos of the Press Conference.

Ms Elizabeth Wong- Minister of Tourism, Consumer and Environment Committee Chairman.


One of the band which entertained guests




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Janet...

You see that is why this internship is vital so that we may now apply everyhing we learnt from school in real life companies. I also find somethings I thought were easy a bit difficult to do.This is just a taste of what you will be doing as a PR Professional, good preparation dont you think? So just try to use the same creativity from school this time knowing its real company with real budgets and real people, no more imagination. At school the lecture can tolerate somethings because its your own event you know what you imagine it to be like but real life, your own creativity may not impress your bosses so you have to restrict yourself to what you are assigned to do and what you are expected to achieve.Imagine if we were hired as full time Professionals not having gone through this period of experience, wow it would have been tough but now atleast you have a testimony.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the press conference but am not too sure about informal and non formal press conference, I believe it all depends on the theme and the companies involved for exaple you can't expect Chris Brown to call a press conference and decorate the place, sing and all the exciting things after the his incident with Rihanna right? So the formal and informal part all depends on what the press conference was all about what do you say? I think you agree with me already lol!!

Pearl

LUC

Molly Tsima said...

You might be enjoying at your work place Janet since you are given given tasks that involve where you live. They are your very targeted audience and it will be easier for you because you know their strengths and weaknesses. Its a good thing to put theory in practice, isn't it?

Enjoy yourself..

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Pearl when you say internship is a good preparation. Preparation always leads to good fruit, which means as I have prepared to be a PR professional well on time I am going to be an excellent one.

I agree with you about the condition of the press conference is determined by the theme. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Molly for your comment. At first I found it difficult and exhausting to put theory into practice. But now I am getting used to it and really enjoying it.