Sunday, August 15, 2010

My final post and week at gtmedia!

Hi,

I can’t believe I am in my last week at gtmedia, writing my last post, for my final unit at Curtin University. There is so much that I have learnt through my work experience. Although we are only marked on one internship, I have taken it upon myself to complete another three with completely different companies and completely different responsibilities. I now have a bit of experience in a pr consultancy, in house pr and marketing, a pr fashion consultancy in Sydney and at a magazine. It is incredible how many little things you can pick up in different surroundings. Now that I stop to think about it, I have been involved in a lot and achieved quite a bit. I feel confident in my skills and that I can offer something to the industry.

My advice to everyone going to look for work after they graduate is to get as much experience as possible. Take it upon yourself to build up your portfolio; it helps so much when you have something to show in an interview. I just saw it as, if I did the bare minimum of what was required, I wouldn’t stand out. I know that I will have to eventually move over east to pursue my dream job, but until then I want to gain all the experience and skills I can so that I am ahead of others. Perth seems so small and it’s hard to realise that it isn’t a given you will find the perfect job. For a while I just assumed a degree will get me anything! You need to do something extra, it is really hard putting in the work (a lot of time for FREE) but it adds up in the end.

I have just been accepted into a company that is part of 22 others which means plenty of room for growth and the opportunity to go over east and travel when I am ready and have proved myself. I am really excited to work Monday to Friday and have some free time on the weekends. I found it gets quite hard juggling uni life, internships and a part time job, so I am really looking forward to focusing on one thing. The best part will be that I can actually get paid for it this time!

Good luck everyone,

Ali

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hey Ali,

In response to the post you left me – you definitely seem to be getting a lot of web development opportunities, good idea about helping out in your retail job (my workplace doesn’t have a site.. I may propose its creation!) Where abouts did you complete these computer tests? Very proactive of you. I was going through Seek.com and a lot of the jobs required a basic knowledge of something called ‘M.Y.O.B’, after a little more searching it turns out there’s a short course for the program so it’s on my to-do list now. Congrats about the job by the way!

In response to your own post – you must have been a supremely busy girl to get this all done, congrats about the completion and hope the report goes well. Good advice about broadening skills and gaining experience in various places. I’m slightly concerned that my limited experience outside the not-for-profit is going to be to my disadvantage so I’ll be trying to take on another work experience position in another sector. A little bit of everything would definitely be helpful, and I can imagine the people you’ve met along the way will be there for your future as well.

Again, congrats, and all the best

Anna