Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Educating Stakeholders

Hi Everyone,

I'm halfway through my work placement now. I'll give you a quick review of where I'm working; I'm working at the Department of Regional Development and Land and my job is to look after the stakeholders involved in Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline. The task now is to find a way to educate land owners around the corridor about the safety involved in excavating, drilling, digging etc around the pipeline.

Last few weeks I have been e-mail Shires, government bodies and DBP engineers to get their thoughts on educating stakeholders and what they believe should be taught to landowners in particular. I'm still waiting for a few more e-mails, but so far safety seems to be everyone's priority.


I had a meeting with few of the project officers today and I suggested active learning for our stakeholders would be the best method of educating them. Since no one seems to like reading the Land Use Guideline book, I suggested complimenting it with a CD which would demonstrate the correct and incorrect safety procedures around the Natural Gas Pipeline. It was also suggested that we have safety demonstrations in relevant towns every six months to refresh people's memories.

The land use guideline is a booklet full of information for all stakeholders. Some information however, are not relevant for all stakeholders, therefore I suggested tabbing the booklet. This way stakeholders can find information that is relevant to them and it also makes the booklet seem a bit more interesting.

These suggestions are all great, but now we need to find out the budget available for the production of a new land use guidelines and what it would cost to attach all the bling we suggested. ... I have a funny feeling that will be my third post.

So far this has taught me the importance of communication and the correct ways of reaching target audience. You can write a whole booklet with excellent information, but essentially that information should get transferred to the memory of your target audience. So ... right now I'm trying to find ways of making our communication method more effective so our stakeholders will want to pick up our booklet to have a read, or watch the dvd's or log on to the website where they can recieve all the information relevant to them, that we are trying to communicate to them.

We are also thinking of using real life examples to educate stakeholders of the danger associated with pipelines. The recent San Fransisco explosion is a good starting reference. Here are some images:































Suesha :)

3 comments:

David Thatcher said...

Suesha your ideas are great , I think that online and interactive learning is a great way to engage stakeholders and really communicate effectivley with your key publics.

What is your process for applying for the funding and approval to get the new version printed currently I have to write a strategy proposal to my department to have my Fact Sheets publshed on the website and also put into some of the other department publications, was wondering if you will have a similar process or something different as your working for a different govt. department.

Vanessa said...

Hi Suesha,
I think thats a great idea to have a dvd because too often people will look at a huge document and adopt the the classic Australian 'she'll be right' attitude and forgo reading it.
Im not sure whether your department has much of an online presence but another idea could be to develop an online forum where landowners could discuss their thoughts and issues with each other and also attain safety feedback from one of the engineers involed. Just a thought for you.
Goodluck with attaining the funding and the rest of your placement :)
Vanessa

Suesha said...

Hi David,

I asked my manager if there was a budget and the protocol associated with it. I was told because it's a project that involves educating stakeholders about safety etc. that there was no budget and as long as the ideas were valid and approved by all the project managers involved it will pull through.

Hi Vanessa,
Thank you for your thought, it is definitely a good idea. We are creating a forum similar to that nature but concentrating more on Q & A's and feedbacks. Having an engineer involved in answering questions in one we haven't thought of and I will suggest that in the next meeting.

Thank you guys,
Suesha