Hi Everyone,
Just a quick recap about me. Im currently at the half way mark of my placement at Tourism Western Australia, working in the Media and PR Destination Team.
Today I have been writing a feature article about the top 10 restaurants in Western Australia. It became not only a good writing exercise, but taught me to be more aware of company relationships and stakeholders.
For example, Tourism WA has restaurant members whose information is placed on our website. However not all of the top 10 resturants in the article I wrote are Tourism WA associated members. As such we needed to find a way that members would not be disadvantaged. The simple yet effective solution arised to add to the feature article that more of Western Australia's great restaurants could be found on our website.
Has anyone had any similar experiences where a simple task has made them see a bigger public relations situation?
Today has been a bit quiet in the office and has given me the chance to see what social media tools Tourism WA has adopted. I was suprised to see that they have a Twitter page as I had not heard anyone from the PR team mention it.
Has anyone been involved with writing tweets (or using any other social media tools)at their PR position or have people been finding it is operated from another department?
Would love to get some feedback from you all :)
Vanessa
2 comments:
Hey Vanessa, Wow Tourism W.A would be very exciting and I am sure they implement lots of communication and public relations strategies. I completed my placement at the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation. I found my experience very rewarding. I love your task of writing up a feature article. I guess some would say that is more journalism, but hey we are in public relations are we endure such a variety of tasks!
With regards to social media, one of my main roles at the foundation was to come up with ideas and strategies to develop the use of on-line social media. The foundation had a twitter and face book account.One of my roles was to monitor these daily. Another on-line social media site they had was called linkdin-I am ashamed to admit I had not heard of this. My supervisor explained to me that linkdin is about communicating and networking in the corporate world. As the foundation is a non for profit organisation, funds are quiet limited so using on-line social media outlets are an effective way to raise awareness about the organisation to a range of people. I guess using sites like these are all about communicating with the public-exactly what we do in the public relations industry, so at the foundation it was only appropriate that the PR team was in charge of using these sites.
Best of luck with the rest of your placement.
Ashleigh
Hi Vanessa,
I'm trying to find ways of incorporating new social media into my government job at Department of Regional Development and Land. This is proving to be rather hard and bleak as I don't think we'll have many fans on facebook or followers on Twitter. The other downside is working in a government department employees are not given access to facebook or twitter, therefore monitoring would also become an issue. I'm working on the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline and although it produces most of WA's electricity, people living nearby the pipelines are starting to show signs of dislike towards the pipeline company and us. My focus is on trying to put a positive spin on this by demonstrating the amount of electricity we are able to receive from those very pipelines.
I thought this would be a small task...boy was I wrong!
Post a Comment