Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Missing my internship....

Well, it's been almost a month since my internship with Curtin's Corporate Comm's office and I'm really missing it. I'm missing the closeness of working in an office surrounded by other PR professionals and those people became my friends! Whereas now, I'm back to slogging it out at uni, with only myself to talk to most of time while trying to get a grasp of a few of my units!

What I miss most though is, contributing to a bigger project and having all of my efforts and work actually go into something, rather than just handing it in by a deadline and hoping to get it back with a decent grade!

My focus for Open Day on the Green was the 'Fun Zone' which is a designated area on campus with show-like attractions and rides for all ages to keep guests entertained while they strolled the campus. The Fun Zone is quite unique, not many other universities offer that sort of thing on Open Days so it's quite a fun aspect for Curtin to incorporate.

I basically had to research and contact suitable contractors for the Fun Zone, keeping in mind the weather concerns-all activities needed to suitable and safe for wet weather in case of rain. There was also the niggling feeling that my choices wouldn't be fun or popular and that my budget would be wasted.

Also, keeping to a budget proved a little bit difficult at times! But it all worked out and much to my supervisors' delight, I managed to save some money and come under my allocated amount!

Firstly, and surprisingly, I was told that two of the previous year's attractions had to stay because of how popular they were. They were the petting zoo and the bouncy castle. At first I was a bit like, really? They were the most popular attractions?! But yes! As it turns out they were INCREDIBLY popular and the contractors have become regulars for Curtin and offer great value on the day.

I managed to source some great local companies, including an aerobungy ride, a velcro fly-wall and sumo suits. At the suggestion of the PR manager, I also had to think of Fun Zone activities that would suit the 'On the Green' theme. This proved very difficult but it got my creativity flowing! I went through grass-based sports games like golf or boules or even soccer but none of them seemed to really 'fit'.

Eventually I found a company that does craft-like activities with children such as gingerbread decorating. Turns out they could do a similar activity where the kids could plant small plants and decorate the pots! We requested that the plants be little fruit or vegie seedlings to encourage an environmental aspect to the activity and get kids to learn about growing their own food at home, which was a great idea! 'Terracotta Potters', by FAR turned out to be the most successful activity of the day. The line was an hour long and the operators had to ration pots or they wouldn't have had enough! And, it wasn't just popular for the younger kids! I've never seen so many 20 year olds walking around campus with their little terracotta pot as a keepsake from Open Day!

That is where my lesson comes from. Never underestimate your gut feeling. I was so worried about the larger scale attractions not being popular that I failed to give the terracotta potters activity the time of day. I could of spent a little bit more money on getting more supplies and had a better activity for more people to enjoy on the day! Sometimes it is the littler things that please people the most!

No comments: