The African Dream Benefit was a hit! Not that I was there to see the event but all reports have been positive.
After much deliberation and changing of sequences and outfits and models and call times and models and outfits the show was ready to go an hour late. This is part of what happens in this industry.
The rehearsal also started late as there was no one to open the venue for at least twenty minutes, some models didn't arrive, when we got there the client had left the music at home and most of the time models where filling in for other models and it was all very complicated.
The Catherine Ruze director and I then went to look at the venue the next week to discover it was half the size the drawings had shown it to be and everything we had choreographed had to be changed.
With two days to go it was decided this would be done on the night. As well as hair, make up, fittings and a run through. To my relief everything turned out well and the night was a success. We also gained another client from that event.
The development day is next on the agenda. This starts at 0900 tomorrow morning with a Zumba class.
The theme for this one is health and fitness. I am teaching the Zumba class followed by a guest speaker who will be presenting on food and nutrition. We will then do some walking training and a guest personal trainer will come in and give us tips on fitness and do some drills with the models. These development days really put the event part of PR in practice along with building and maintaining relationships.
Because of these two factors we have a free venue for three hours when ever we need it. We also have a personal trainer who jumped in to help us for free today after the organized one pulled out this morning.
I think an important skill is Pr teaches is "crisis management", being able to pull things out of a hat at the last minute to make a project a success. These situations also force you to be creative and call on your networks.
Thats all for now. A report on the Development day next.
1 comment:
Your placement sounds fantastic.
A zumba class is so innovative and exciting, I'm glad you're enjoying it - sounds hard not to!
I also think crisis management is an important issue to understand and study while at uni because you face so many crises while working in the 'real world'.
I hope you continue to make the most of your experience as it seems to be very inciteful and motivating.
Emily
Post a Comment