Monday, September 6, 2010

Progress at UWA

I would like to take the brief opportunity to rant about Outlook Express. Yes, I understand it's the CORE of offices, fancy little alarms n diary entries n what not.. but being INCAPABLE of proper access outside the office is RIDICULOUS. After mass mix ups in my head about what was happening with volunteer's TaxHelp appointments I asked Jenni if it was possible to set up a way for me to manage the emails from home. Yay external access! After fiddling with usernames and a VERY obscure password, I managed to login.. only to find that I could only access new emails.. not even my contact list.. it's like technology is teasing me. If anyone knows how to solver this problem I would GREATLY appreciate it!

A few little milestones have been reached with Relay. After a meeting with UWA's stakeholders we have the green light to go ahead and confirm our bookings with fencing/lighting/staging companies etc, at a nice little cost price we managed to negotiate. The entertainment team have bands lined up.. and an ipod. Recruitment seems to be the only issue.. a lot of the faculties and clubs around UWA are claiming to commit teams but have not taken the next step to actually register (which is extremely important in order to avoid mass sign ups on the actual day). To combat this, an information session is being held on Thursday for all those interested and everyone will be given the opportunity to register straight after it (nice and convenient for us lazy uni kids).

UWA media is also getting in on the action - the committee had a bit of a photoshoot/interview yesterday which I monitored from the sidelines and had a chat with the UWA rep. The story is going to end up in the glossy magazine 'UWA News' that all staff receive. It was interesting to hear the questions she asked - what do participants bring, what about food, will we provide tents, what will our biggest challenges be, is there security, does everyone have to run, is there fancy dress - I felt like I was watching our PR Media unit in action. My own media releases have been approved by Cancer Council and am just waiting on UWA's green light. Will be a weight off the shoulders to finally send them off.

A quick little side project - Jenni's hoping to get feedback from her Balga SHS volunteers about how to improve the program, it's highs and lows etc. So, everyone remember marketing research? I put together a 1pg questionnaire that Jenni will distribute once the program is over. Was surprised how easily it came back to me, I thought I would flounder with structure.. and I remember detesting going through the questionnaires in marketing researching and entering data.. but there are only around 10 volunteers.. and less than 15 questions.. eeeeeeeeasy!

Hope everyone's enjoying their placements!
Annalisa

1 comment:

David Thatcher said...

I see that the DTWD has something that you do not. Our outlook is hosted on the internet as well which enables us to have external access at home. It means that all members can access their accounts wherever they are. Keep working hard and don't let the technology get the better of you