Hi All!
Since my last post, I've been asked to do monthly media valuation reports for clients. I get a shock when I do the calculations (as you know.. PR value is three times of Ad value) to the extent where some times I do over at least three times to make sure I didn't do it wrongly.
Also, I've learnt that media monitoring is not just about flipping through the papers. Even though media monitoring may be the most basic thing in a PR company, one really needs to be not only meticulous but also have the ability to anticipate what might be useful to clients.
You can expect papers to be flying everywhere on Monday mornings because we've got to trawl through 4 days worth of papers (over the weekend + two publications are only published on friday night). Most of our tables are black with fingerprints inked from the papers.
I've also done a survey as part of research for a client, media call downs and over the phone interviews. I was delegated the task of calling some volunteers to find out what was the one thing they did good for the year. It was really cool because I realised that there are actually people with very good hearts.
One volunteer, went to a one room apartment with four other people, and they helped to clean the house. It belonged to a 70 year-old man. She went on to tell me how the apartment was really dusty and it had no television or radio. That experience was an eye opener for her and it taught her not to be complacent.
After the phone conversation I actually felt inspired to be like her! And that thought made me realise you can actually learn a lot more things other than just how to do your work well.
Till the next post!
3 comments:
Hey there Ally!
Glad to see that you're doing superb!
Yes I did balk too at the media valuations at first! I'm sure many others just like us who are new to the industry did too. Actually, even veterans will balk as I'm sure those values would have quadrupled over the years. So in that sense, it is a wonder how the PR scene is constantly in a state of change.
Anyway, i think you're fortunate to be able to make such lovely calldowns. The ones I had to do are to people, some of whom do not speak English well at all, to follow-up for media coverages in their countries. It gets tough sometimes.
Well, I hope everything will continue to work well for you! Here's something i have to share, as a fellow intern once said, "Secretly, the foot-soldiers rule the world."
Oh yes, media values. Clients love them. It sounds like you are having a very interesting placement.
Whilst there isn't much you can do about the type of evaluation your clients (and most importantly your placement organisation) favour, please keep in mind that most PR bodies around the world are HIGHLY critical of advertising equivalent value. See http://www.pria.com.au/resources/list/asset_id/148/cid/136/parent/0/t/resources for example.
All the best for the reminder of your placement. It wounds like you are gaining an exciting insight into the world of PR!
Samantha: They're all not lovely Sammy! I did some foreign media calling too! Read my next post about it!
Katharina: Hey Katharina! I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot! However I've learnt that it's not a 9 - 6 job. Haha
Post a Comment