Friday, October 29, 2010

Events, events, events!

As part of my work with Exibit I got to work at the Home Show and Pool and Spa Expo held over the weekend.

I began the week by helping to prepare for the Expo and definitely got the feel that this was a well practiced thing. I was easily allocated simple jobs that would make the weekend flow - printing maps and packing/ marking a few boxes. Then we sat down for the prep meeting where we went over the running order, the jobs and exactly what to do. Everything was broken down into easy to remember jobs segments and times.

The Expo was held at the Convention Centre and had thousands of attendees - so it was very important that everything ran smoothly and that people were on their designated jobs. The amount of practice and experience that Exibit has with events definitely came through when an event this large came off with no major hiccups.

In terms of logistics, this event was smooth. Everyone had clearly allocated jobs, knew exactly what they had to do and when and for how long. Keeping the job break down into hour long blocks meant that everyone got to try different jobs - so it was more interesting and the day seemed to go faster. I spent time working on the till, taking token at the door, sorting competition forms, visitor surveys, exhibitor station and there was a break in there somewhere.

The only things I would like to see run differently at other Expos were the competition forms and visitor surveys. The competition forms created work by having several sections, to ensure maximum benefit from these I think it would be more beneficial to have one single form (seeing as a large number of attendees simply put all the sections into one box and we had to separate the forms for them). The information needed from the prize sponsors could be compiled for them and sent out.

With the Visitor surveys, we had to approach people directly and this made getting feedback on the Expo harder than it could have been. Perhaps we could link the feedback surveys to the competition, by providing more chances to win or an extra prize - it would make it easier when asking for people to fill in the surveys and in getting a larger number.

All in all, it was a fun event and I really learnt a lot from the staff and the event itself.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their placements!

Tonya.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya,

Your whole weekend seemed so exciting! Exhibitions are always very hard to deal with because it is held in such a big scale but that's what we learn I guess how to manage everything and distribute the tasks evenly.

Hope your internship went well for you..All the best.

Cheers,

Karmini Eswaran

SimoneM said...

Hi Tonya,

Your placement seems to be going really well. I've been doing alot of work with events as well as part of my placement.
I've found that organization and preparation are two things that are really important when it comes to pulling off large scale events.
All the events that I have been involed with throughout my placement at the PMH Foundation have had everything covered, right down to who is in charge of re-stocking the toilet paper incase it runs out.

Good luck with everything,
Simone

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya,

It sounds like you've been doing some fantastic work with Exhibit but I'd like to know, now that you've had a taste of events management is it a field you would like to work in? I myself always thought I would like to work in events management but after having experienced the workings of a large scale exhibition (similar to the one you've worked on) I decided although it was a lot of fun it wasn't something I would like to have a career in. What is your opinion?

Jacqui