Friday, October 1, 2010

My Days at DFC

I started at the Department for Communities on the 14th of September, the day I came in to meet with my Supervisor about the possiblity of working with them and, there and then, was asked if I could start immediately.

Of course I said yes! And it's been pleasant working in the department ever since. I must say that time does fly, I am almost through my internship and I have so much more to learn.

Immediately I was given my project to work on, media releases for Cadets WA. A program (apart from the many) provided by our Department.

Cadets WA is a youth development program funded by the state government and is now operating in secondary schools across the state from Kununurra to Esperance in the south. Not all schools provide students with this program but I think it is a fantastic idea.

See, there are nine units within this program. Each unit has it's own cadet-style training. One example is the Emergency Cadet Corps unit and it's training includes first-aid, radio communications, fire safety and basic fire fighting, rescue techniques and the list goes on.

The other eight unit are Police Rangers, Bush Rangers, St John Ambulance, Red Cross Cadets, Australian Navy Cadets, Australian Air Force Cadets, Surf Life Saving Cadets and Australian Army Cadets. Each of these cadet units have their own training activities.

The aim of this program is to provide young people in the secondary school system to participate in these challenging structured training to learn and develop practical life skills and to enhance their personal development.

I say, if learning essential life saving skills was free then it should be taken advantage of! You never know when any of this will come in handy. When you have to put a fire out in your home or back garden or even volunteer at your local State Emergency Service department to help in times of need.

All this can save a community from disasters. It is a skill worth developing, that's for sure.

So my task here is to do a media release on a cadet unit that has something to talk about. Whether it's building a garden for their school or volunteering their time in the community.

First I have to carry out some research through endless phone calls to unit coordinators in the hope they will cooperate their time for a few questions I may have for them and most of them are busy taking their students out on field excursions and training sessions.

Apart from the main project I am working on there are the little things like printing, photocopying and sending out mail. All this to help out with events on the way and little things do help build a bigger picture! And I am happy to offer up whatever time to be a part of it all.

Till next time..

Yours truly,
Cheryl Ess

1 comment:

Anna said...

I enjoyed writing up the media releases for my placement - it was a fun little challenge to try and find different angles for the same story. Are you just doing the one release or doing up a few drafts? Because if so, have you considered targeting different local papers depending on where the featured Cadet group is located? -would give you a chance to write more!

I also understand the struggle of getting in contact with people - you're running on other people's schedules and it's hard to decide when you're merely being persistent or plain ole pushy and annoying. I find a 2 day gap between contact when chasing people up is the best.. not too pushy, you wouldn't have been forgotten and it would hopefully still be within your deadline!

Goodluck with everything
Anna