In my fourth week at PPR Perth Fashion Festival (PFF) was just around the corner and taking over the MarComms department of the consultancy. I was asked to write up day-by-day media releases for the festival that would be sent to media outlets for each day of the festival. These releases outlined the highlights from the previous day along with the most highly anticipated events of the coming day. I found this to be great experience in learning to write short, punchy media releases that contained only the necessary information.
As well as day-by-day media releases, I was also asked to write up a media release putting the focus upon the Kids Fashion events in the festival. The idea behind it was to promote the variety of events at this years festival to attract people from all demographics. After some researching and a fair bit of editing I was happy with my draft and sent it off for approval by a consultant. She came back to me later with very few minor changes which I made before having it approved by the MarComms Group Director who then sent it off to PFF and relevant designers for final approval.
The most exciting day of my work placement came a few days later when I got the feedback from the designer who loved the release and found out that it had been published on The West Online in the Life + Style section titled 'Kid's fashion ready for Perth festival'! (See link below) I know how many media releases I've done at uni but it was a really good feeling, and kind of surreal, to have a real media release published.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/lifestyle/a/-/fashion/7863168/kids-fashion-ready-for-perth-festival/
Still on PFF, I also learnt a bit about media accreditation applications and approvals for events. This is something that I had never heard of or learnt about at uni so it was good to learn about something new that would be beneficial in the future.
That week I was also asked if I would like to stay for an extra week, making my placement five weeks instead of four. The idea of another missed week of uni was really daunting but PPR were happy to work around my uni schedule and it was too good an opportunity to turn down! I was also really enjoying my time at PPR and was really grateful for the chance to spend an extra week there :)
4 comments:
Good media release Sam! Sharp, provides all the relevant info and makes you interested!
Looks like you are putting your skills to good use.
Well done and congratulations! :) x
Hi Sam,
I can imagine how excited you were when you found out your media release was on The West Online. Congratulations! It's great when you see your hard work (and for me multiple edits) rewarded. It definitely brings a great sense of satisfaction at the end of the day.
As Elle said, your media release is very sharp, provides all the relevant details and makes you interested in the event. I know with my own experiences at writing media releases and other documents as part of my internship, it's all about keeping it succinct and to the point.
Good work and it's great to hear they asked you to stay on for an extra week :)
Averil
Hi Sam,
Congratulations on your media release! I know how exciting it is to write your first media release as I got to write my first media release at Tourism WA on 'Summer in Perth.' The media release was sent out to media outlets and used for the monthly newsletter.
This was a good chance to use all those techniques such as short sentences and colourful language, that we learnt from PR 200!
Good luck for the future! :)
I must admit, I am really jealous that you were able to have your media release published! That must look fantastic on your resume. Well done!
Post a Comment