Well, last weekend was Relay For Life at UWA, signaling my final days of placement. I had my last day in office today and should be going back there next week for a nice little 'goodbye' morning tea.
Relay. Was. Amazing. We had around 35 teams altogether, nearly 300 people, and the amount of enthusiasm and energy on site was incredible for the full 24hrs. WASAMBA lead the first lap around the track for the opening ceremony (the only glitch through the ENTIRE event was one of the mics not being loud enough for a speech.. so proud that was it.. oh, besides a committee member ending up in crutches 5days before Relay), the weather was fantastic the entire day, the candle light ceremony brought tears to pretty much everyone's eyes, breakfast the next morning was perfect.. everyone was starving and the spread that UWA catering had for us was huuuuge. So, after 45mins sleep and an 8hr shift in the First Aid tent.. we raised just over $88, 000 but are still waiting for the final tally with last minute donations - when I find out the final amount I'll be back!
Today was spent doing 'thank you' emails, certs of appreciation and emailing a wind up update to UWA media. Jenni, my mentor, actually has her last day in the Hub next Friday as well, so it was goodbyes all around.
What have I learned these past 25 days?
Communication is absolutely essential.
Too many times have wires been crossed and things need to be cleared up ASAP before disaster strikes. You need to keep in touch with your contacts, don't burn your bridges. People need confirmation that you received emails, they need to be acknowledged and thanked when they do you a favour.. no matter how small it is.
Technology will let you down when you need it the most.
Internet fails. Printers fail. Thumb drives won't be compatible. Always always have back ups of everything, even if it means emailing your files to other computers so its stored in your emails.
If there is a 12month timeline to prepare for an event.. it CAN be done in 6months.. but it WILL be hard..
The Cancer Council gives each Relay committee a set of information outlining what needs to be done when over 12months before the event.. UWA students were committed to having it done in half the time and apparently their youthful spirits convinced Cancer Council it was possible. We did it. It all came together; however, the next Relay is going to be bigger and better BECAUSE of the extra time everyone will have. I was somewhat disappointed in the media outcome of things, UWA published the event but only one local paper printed a teeny tiny story but overall I am extremely proud of the entire event and the team.
Do not rely on other people to get your job done.
If you have a task that needs doing, take responsibility for it and get it done. If you need information from other people then chase. them. up. If it's not their responsibility it won't seem half as important to them.
People working with not-for-profit organisations are some of the most lovely, passionate, hard working individuals on this planet.
Working with the cancer council and being so deep in the Relay set up has pretty much confirmed in my mind that I want to work with not-for-profits.
That's all from me, I'll post up the updated total of funds raised when we all know the figure. Good luck to everyone for the remainder of their placements!
Annalisa


1 comment:
Annalisa,
It seems like you really enjoyed your placement for the event of Relay for Life.
It's amazing how much work you put into the event and what a great outcome you got out of it!
As you might of seen, I recently had my placement at Diabetes WA and worked on National Diabetes Week and a few things didn't go as we planned. But as you said we have to account for these things to happen and sometimes it is out of our control.
Public relations work ethics and skills need to be used as often as possible as you said. It is good that you reminded me at least that the simple things do count, like replying to emails and saying thankyou to individuals.
Diabetes WA is also a not-for-profit organisation, and I loved doing my placement there as the group of people were really friendly and helpful in anything that you do. I definitely agree with you that not-for-profit organisations would be a great place to work.
Hope you enjoyed your placement as much as I did!
Post a Comment