Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saying Hi from Heritage Council WA





Hi all,

How have you been? This is my second post and things have been really busy on my side. As I mentioned on my previous post, my assignment at HCWA is to produce a webpage that provide assistance for the heritage owners. This might sounds easy but it is definitely not when you are working in a government department. With the amount of information to go through, it can be quite time consuming. I need to track down every publication since 1994 and this includes the other states of Australia. After all the researching, I was to create a few tables sorting out the information. When the researching stage coming to an end, it is time to sit down with my manager Gay, assistant Tania and also a manger from Development Department, Dr.Adelyn to have a further discussion. They went through my work, discussed on how are we going to produce this webpage, what is the suitable information for WA and also dealing with copyright issue. More work came after this. As we are to use some information from Heritage Council of the other states, we will need to get approval from them. My manager contacted most of them as she has personally met them before. It would be easier for her to approve them instead the newbie me. However, I was given a chance to contact the person in charge of South Australia and I managed to get approval from South Australia.

As our plan is to rebadge the brochures, we need to design a new set of for the brochures and the rest of technical notes. These fall into my work category. It was not as easy for me to be using Photoshop after I have neglected it for a few years. It took me quite some time to get used to it especially using the older version of photoshop which has least tools. Not to mention the part where I need to browse through HCWA’s server to search for suitable photos to be used. One thing I learnt here is that it is very important to have your server or database well organized. It will definitely come in handy when you are in need of it.

All in all, I am feeling the sense of achievement as I walking down this path. I hope you are feeling the same as well. Again, all the very best to US all!

Cheers,

Janica

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hello Janica,

I understand what it is like to wade through information in a government department. I am currently doing my placement at the Department of Commerce. I had to do a lot of research for a presentation I was asked to write. What you are working on sounds very interesting. Imagine how it will feel to see the end product after all your hard work and contributions! I wish you luck with the development of this webpage.