Saturday, January 22, 2011

Practice In Action

The past two weeks rushed by in a flash. My day-to-day tasks included, in chronological order, drafting potential topics and articles for Client A and B, which will be eventually uploaded onto their corporate blog or contributed to industry website, sourcing for industry-related events and compiling an events list for Client B, and updating Rice’s media list. I was able to accompany my supervisor and colleagues on two meetings and observe two PR updates conference calls and a phone-interview.

Honestly, I had a hard time drafting topics and articles for the clients, partially due to my lack of interest in the clients’ industry. Basically, I conducted in-depth research and analysis on the client’s industry and current trend, their past publications, their competitors’ publications and industry experts’ publications. I was confused. Shouldn’t it be the other way round, with the client drafting out the articles, then spending it to the PR person who will edit it for readability and send it back to the client for a final look-through, before it is published? After all, the client is in a better position to write about the industry which they are in, with their knowledge of industry.

My colleague patiently explained that this could be seen as a function of PR as communication is involved. The articles are published for the eyes of industry and clients’ stakeholders. While some clients delegate this task of writing entirely to the PR consultancy, there are also others who choose to do the writing in-house and sending the draft to the PR for editing.

The out-of-office meetings I attended were for an upcoming Industry Forum which Client A was organising with the help of an events management company. Both meetings centred on the logistics of the event and status updates. Due to the slower progress of the events company and the focus on ironing out logistics, the PR role was at a minimum. At the moment, all we had to do was make arrangements to ensure media attendance. The PR involvement will increase as the event date draws nearer.

Conference calls regarding client updates took place on a fortnight basis, as part of the PR contract. It is fascinating how first call differed from the second one. We made the call on time, but both other parties were late and poor connection reduced a 30-minutes call to one which lasted less than ten minutes. Both parties eventually decided to communicate through email, as not much progress was made on their ends. The second call, for a different client was more professional, and all areas on the agenda were covered, with plans for follow-up action. I assisted my colleague with the contact report.

The phone interview was more of overheard as it was conducted by another team for their client. I happened to be working in the same room and they were speaking loudly. The team facilitated the interview between the journalist and the client in a comfortable manner. The journalist and the client were the main speakers, of course, with the team providing input where necessary.

These two weeks have been an eye opener for me, and I am eager to make more progress over the remaining days of my internship. Have any of you experienced similar scenarios in you internship?

Kwa Qian Hui
14466104
Curtin Singapore

2 comments:

Morwens said...

Isn't it wonderful to see that what we have all learnt in PR modules "come to life"? In my past experience, internship generally entails excessive printing, binding, filing and other administrative work.

In my own PR internship, I have felt the practice I had gained is an exciting reinforcement of what we all learnt in classroom environment. It was wonderful yet at the same time intimidating without the help of PR colleagues.

I hope it has been a great learning curve for you and look forward reading more about your PR journey.

Ginny

Just D'closet said...

Hi Qian Hui,

I also encountered the same problem as you when my consultant ask me to draft press releases for my client.

I am always stuck as I do not have a good understanding of my client's business and what made it worst is that I practically do not have any interest in my client's industry.

Neverthless, it's our duty to find something interesting out from the industry so as to write interesting contents that will generate interest of our client's stakeholders.

Imagine, as a PR Practitioner representating our client, if we are unable to show interest in client's industry, how can we expect to generate interest for our client stakeholders?

Cheers
Doreen Eng Li Hoe
13304986
Curtin Singapore