Saturday, January 22, 2011

You're late

Hi everyone! The word 'punctual' is definitely not my middle name. When someone says, "don't be late", my initial reaction is- to be late. Not because I wanted to get a reaction out of it but because to me bring 5-10 mins late was trivial. So on Friday, we had an important client meeting. I left with my boss and colleagues 30mins before the meeting was supposed to start.

By the time we arrived, we were 10 mins late. When we got there, the VP who was involved in the meeting, came to us and the first thing he mentioned was "you're late". He was not kidding. That was a pretty good indication of how the rest of the meeting went.

Having always taken for granted timelines and punctuality, his two words hit me hard. We could have potentially lost the business before being late signifies that the client's business is not important enough. We are after all dealing with relationship business and the basis for relationships is respect. We may have brilliant creative ideas and a gift of he gap. But if the fundamental values such as respect and discipline to carry out tasks is missing, thriving in the business will be hard and no amount of pacifying the client will help!

Pamela Philip
14243776
Curtin Singapore

1 comment:

Just D'closet said...

Hi Pamela,

Just to share with you on my version of "You're late"

I was told by my principal consultant to write a general press release for my client but I am so busy with my full time work that I submitted it late.

On the very same day of my submission, I received an email from my consultant that the client had come out with their own version of press release because of my late submission.

Luckily for me, my consultant did not scold me instead he tell me that this is what reality is all about, delay in meeting deadline could cause me to lose my client and this is how competitive the PR industry is.

I guess regardless whether its late for appointment or late submission, “LATE” is simply a NO in the PR industry.

Thanks
Regards Doreen Eng Li Hoe
13304986
Curtin Singapore