Saturday, February 5, 2011

Journalism VS Public Relations: The relationship between media and Public relations Officers

(Many Questions have been running through my mind like, How much do we need the media, Do they really need us ?Why is media viewed as the enemy?)

Over the years ,we were taught that in Public relations we make the stories for the media and in turn we get publicity, which is indeed true, however to my upset mind i thought indeed media needs us the PR people however over the past two months i have realised that as much as they need us but us the Pr people we need them more, As an intern in Pixarus communication I was exposed to working with media, through the two months I had with them , I built the relationship with Journalist.

The reason why I say we need them more is because, where I was an intern we have worked with two companies, Derma logical and Poh Kong Holdings, For Derma logical the media didn’t cover the launch as it was expected which led to the client complaining that as the consultancy we didn’t perform and the cancelled the account, while that of Poh Kong the Launch was a success because over twenty media houses came and 17 of them published the story which led to them giving the consultancy another project which is in progress.

So in all I will say as PR people, we need media for the success of the client’s projects. And it’s time we build relationships with media, as much as they may bully us, because it’s the experience I encountered when doing media follow-ups. Stop viewing media as enemies but as partners.

Share with us your experiences with media as an intern and what you think of them........

No comments: