Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fashion Fundraiser - more exciting than your average foundation!

Happy friday fellow PR bloggers,

My name is Chardae and I am currently in the very middle of my internship, and absolutely loving it. The past two weeks have been such a whirlwind of learning and progress that for a moment there, I had actually forgotten I was still a uni student!

I was very lucky to secure work experience with His Majesty's Theatre Foundation (HMTF) at the beginning of the year, which then led into employment, and most recently into this internship.

Since I begun with the Foundation, I have had first hand experience with the things we have all spent three years reading from books! It's invigorating, but also challenging when you feel as though there are big expectations above your head.

So far, my most important lesson learnt is to feel confident to do your best, regardless of the task. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, otherwise how do we learn right?

Aside from the many tasks completed to date (which I will cover in my next blog), the most exciting one has been event management... "Events... Ho hum" you say? Well for me, and as my teamed continually said – This one was my ‘baby’.

My colleagues and I held a very special event at the His Majesty's Theatre venue on Monday the 21st March. It aimed to raise money for a young Perth man who lost his leg last year in a tragic jet-ski accident last December, while also launching the Indian designer label GOPI VAID into Australia for the very first time! More satisfying than pulling off an event without hitches, was doing something with a good cause. So rewarding.

The event was Indian themed, and was an intimate and exclusive evening filled with wine, canapés, bindis and kaftans. After completing a post-event evaluation this week, I reported that the event was a success as it fulfilled all of our original objectives. I learnt that the more you plan your event, the less problems you encounter on the day. I am happy to report that we had great feedback from the guests that attended, as well as positive media coverage in The West Australian on Wednesday.

On a closing note, the other great thing about events (especially in a small city such as Perth) is the opportunity to liaise and communicate with guests, particularly when the relationship will be beneficial in the future.

How does the saying go?...

NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!!!

No comments: