Saturday, March 12, 2011

-----posted on behalf of Fiona Tan------


During my second week of internship with Robert Bosch, I was already like a sponge absorbing all that I have been exposed to.

Just so happens that Bosch has a couple of highly important upcoming events to prepare for which was really an eye-opener for me as this meant more work and more exposure! There were two main highlights of the month:

1)   HD PID Launch (Bosch High Definition CCTV Product Launch in Vietnam)

2)   Asia Pacific Region VIP Day (In Cambodia)

At present, all the events-related and public relations preparations that I have ever been involved with were all school-related. Therefore I was really excited to be handling ‘real-life’ event media kit drafting, press release drafting and all sorts of events-related preparations.

I had the opportunity to meet up with an external public relations agency that Robert Bosch had worked with before. During the meeting, there were familiar topics that we went through in class before, for example, budgeting, media scheduling and public relations etiquette.

To elaborate:

1)   Budgeting – I did not realize that the cost of a press release draft up was based due to word count!

2)   Media Scheduling – It turns out that for Bosch, the management preferred to customize their individual press releases according to the source of media for certain events. For example, Bosch would allocate a higher word count/press release for the more reputable media outlets with high means of distribution and save costs for the less recognized ones.

3)   PR Etiquette – This was really an eye-opener for me as ethics have always been a key topic in class! Seems like Bosch really practices good public relations ethics, as it was a requirement that the press release should only feature facts of the event and not over-exaggerate the positive points. This made me really please to be an intern of Robert Bosch.

No comments: