Monday, April 4, 2011

First two weeks at LEWIS PR

----posted on behalf of Samantha Lew------------------

It has been roughly 2 weeks since i have started my internship at LEWIS PR and i must admit that it has been a great learning experience for me so far.

Everything has been going on smoothly, though i have made mistakes every now and then. I learned from my mistakes. Every little, nitty gritty detail of PR work is scrutinised. A spelling error is deadly and all work has to be perfect. Well, after the past 2 weeks of practice, I am definitely much more of a perfectionist than I used to be!

Just the other day, I was sleepy after lunch and could barely open my eyes. Coffee no longer work for me, so I had to turn to candies to keep me awake. Even though i was kept 'sane' with the chewing and munching of the candies, my mind was probably only partially functional. Made a terrible mistake of calling the wrong editor for the wrong reason! Seriously catastrophic. Could not forgive myself after that, though i think the editor was nice over the phone and accepted my apology.

Basically, I called a Technology publication (on behalf of our B2B tech client) and it was supposed to be a follow-up call. However, only to realise that the editor whom i have called was a senior editor of another pulication and was not even involved in technology! When he heard what i had to say, he was completely speechless. That was utterly embarrassing and i can never forget how foolish and apologetic I felt. That was probably my close encounter with an once-in-a-lifetime experience.

All in all, I've been learning everyday and enjoying the process. Not enjoying the mistakes i have made though. Those were sour and horrendous moments.

Personally, I do not have much feedback on LEWIS as a whole, as i have just started for a short while. Nonetheless, i like the culture of LEWIS, how the people are like and the working practices of the organisation. For instance, they do Friday lunches together in the conference room, a time when all of them get together to catch up on one another and share stories over the week. It is LEWIS' way of getting to know colleagues better, plan weekend activities and a useful way to bond. I have always been a believer of employees being the soul of an organisation. Employees are like the ambassadors of the organisation. Thus, if the employees are satisfied and get along well with one another, it creates a stronger, well-focused organisation. I see that in LEWIS. So, i really look forward to the upcoming days of my internship.

Samantha Lew Gui Ling
14681923

No comments: