Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hello everybody!

I've been with Shine Communications for the past one month, it feels like I have been working there forever - time really flies when you are busy!

There has been a lot going on - my boss is really passionate about animals so she does voluntary PR work for the Dog's Refuge Home at Shenton Park, and she has given me the opportunity to write their media releases for them. We have been very pleased so far that the West Australian and other suburban newspapers has picked up some of the stories, our key motive is to find the dogs a loving home. For all you dog lovers out there... You can check the furry cuties out yourself at http://www.dogshome.org.au :)

I have also written a letter to the editor at the West Australian on the behalf of the CEO of an organisation - which unfortunately I can't name due to confidentiality issues - and it was published this week. It is quite a funny feeling to see your work published, you feel proud yet it is under someone else's name.

I have never written so much in my life, and it can be honestly quite taxing sometimes as you are always thinking of new angles and on how you can put a fresh spin on something deemed "boring". As I am also taking Journalism, I feel that I have grown so accustomed to writing in the "PR style" that it is difficult to go back to writing hard news. Does anybody else find it difficult to switch between the different styles of writing?

This week, I accompanied my boss to my first meeting with one of her clients - Braemar Presbyterian Care - they provide aged care services. I guess due to the work they do, and that the fact they're also a religious organisation, the meeting was not intimidating and was much more relaxed than I expected. During the meeting, we discussed possible stories and ideas and I took down notes as I have been given the responsibility of writing them. Again, it is challenging to write a story when you given sketchy details and bare facts.

Ruth has continued to give me constructive criticism, which I really appreciate. This internship has already given me so much in developing my skills and helping me with my future career - hands on training cannot compare the stuff you learn in textbooks and classrooms. The idea of writing a media release no longer seems tedious, but something I look forward to.

As I am writing so much, I am really keen to try events management, which is an important element of PR. Unfortunately I have not had the chance yet, but hopefully soon!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Paige (bentley)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also studying PR and Journalism and yes there is definately a difference in writing style! Although aren't PR practitioners encouraged to adapt their writing to journalism style? Would make it easier on everyone I think.
And I'd love to be involved with the dog's refuge home- you lucky thing!

Chards said...

Hey Paige,
I'm glad you mentioned the difficulty in switching writing styles because thats one thing i've found a little tricky in my internship!
You are very lucky however to be getting so much practice at writing, the more the better especially when you have people available to help you.
I have had some great event experience during my internship, you should definitely try and get involved somehow its much more fun than writing!
Good luck with the rest of your time at Shine