Friday, May 6, 2011

First blog entry – Hello from Diabetes WA!

Hey everyone,

I’m In from Bentley Campus. As the title suggest, this is actually my first entry in the PR Reflective Blog. I am looking forward to sharing my internship experience and reading all your exciting blog entries ;)

I am pretty sure that now, everyone is either done with their internship or halfway through, I heard some of you are even done with your report; champions!

I managed to secure an internship with a non-profit organisation, Diabetes WA at the start of the semester. I am fortunate enough that the process of applying for this internship was quite straight forward. I had Diabetes WA as my real life client last semester for PR Consultancy 300, so I contacted my tutor, Katharina Wolf to ask for the public relations officer’s contacts. My current supervisor, Candice Phillips was nice enough to accommodate me for this working experience ;)

First day on the job, I realised how important it is to know your organisation and understand their vision, mission, goals, policies and key objectives, etc. With the existing knowledge I have gained on Diabetes WA from PR Consultancy 300 and my own research, I learn that this knowledge has prepared me well to actually start doing work straight away. However, I realised that my understanding on Diabetes WA are all based on external research. Hence, I was glad when my supervisor gave me a quick introduction on what was going on internally in Diabetes WA. I was grant access to a few documents detailing on the internal structure of the organisation as well to further understand about the organisation I am working for.

Although I was fully equipped with all these information in hand, I then realise that I had made my first mistake as an intern (on the very first day itself!). The most major thing, which is to research on the disease itself completely, slipped my mind. I guess I was too excited to start my internship and get going with my research on the organisation that I totally forgot how important it is to actually know about the disease that the organisation is advocating about before I begin work.

And so my I spent countless hours in office and back home, reading and researching on the disease itself to fully understand the purpose of the organisation. Just a quick run through with you guys; diabetes is a lifelong disease that affects people with high level of sugar in their blood. It can occur to people of any ages and if not managed well, could be a precursor to a bigger health complication like kidney disease, amputation and heart failure. The three major roles of Diabetes WA are; to help prevent, manage and advocate for this disease that affects 7% of all Australians.

I cannot emphasise enough on the importance of this research, especially as a public relations intern where my job encompasses around writing media releases, articles for magazines, etc. It took me a while to understand about the complications of diabetes. Up to till this day, I am still continually reading on hopes to achieve a better insight.

Other than that, for the past month or so, I have been doing different things for Diabetes WA that includes, writing media releases, media monitoring, event planning, etc. I guess I will talk more about what I have been doing in another entry.

So far, I am enjoying my time in Diabetes WA. My supervisor and everyone in the office are friendly and always helpful. I am glad that there is always something that is PR-related for me to do in office.

Hope everyone is enjoying their internship.

Update you guys soon!

In
14237782

3 comments:

Nik Stewart said...

Hi In,

I have to agree with you. Research is so important when it comes to PR.

I'm on internship with a small agency which works with clients from many different sectors.

In my time there I've been involved with writing proposals for HIV awareness, healthy lifestyle, young professionals and even cosmetics campaigns and the first thing I do is always to dedicate some time to fully researching the cause.

Even though I've always thought research was dull in school, I find that it actually can get quite interesting when you are exposed to topics you are not familiar with.

Of course I am often unable to get a complete understanding about each topic due to the time given to me to complete a task but you are absolutely right!

Research is paramount in order to deliver quality work.

Looking forward to hearing more about your internship.

Cheers!
Nicolette

Kelly said...

Hi,

I agree about research being critical in PR! Not just external research but also internal research.

My internship is in the Alumni Relations Office at Curtin University. When I first started I thought, yes, I know a lot about Curtin as I am a student there. But this wasn't right at all.

Each individual department in Curtin is completely unique and all the external research didn't quite prepare me for it.

Getting to know and work with people in the office really helped me gain a solid grasp of what the office aims to achieve and why it is important in the grand scheme of Curtin.

I think you should never underestimate the power of not only external but internal research!

I hope you're enjoying your internship :)

Kelly

Priscila said...

Hi all,
Research is the one and only way before going to go an interview or set up a project. When I was conducted for my interview I take the precaution to do some research as I have never heard of this organisation before. I was very unlucky as I misspelled the name of the organization when I do my research. Instead of T1 Diams I wrote t1 diams and I obtain nothing concrete about the organization. As I knew a bit of what diabetes was all about I went for the interview and then the famous question came WHAT DO YOU THINK IS DIABETES TYPE 1?I started answering what I think it was then my the president stop me to tell me what diabetes type 1 really was.
As soon as I reached home the first thing I did was some research of how children can be having diabetes. It was so interesting that I keep on reading whole night. My research has allowed me on how to tackle with diabetes children and not to make them feel different from others. Moreover it has allowed me to be more conscious of the problem and put forward all that I have learnt to help these persons have a better life. Without research I would have still been thinking that diabetes touches only people having a high level of sugar in their blood.
Before starting out my campaign I have done some research about the target public, the different medium of communication (radio, television, time scheduled, press release and so on).All these to tell you that with research you learn a lot more than assumption of things.
As Neil Armstrong motioned ‘research is creating new knowledge’, thus let us enrich our understanding everyday more till the end.