Friday, May 20, 2011

First Day, First Impressions





-------------posted on behalf of Valerie Lange--------
I did not have a typical first day when I started my internship. Instead of getting a detailed orientation and adjusted to the new environment, I had to jump right in to work. This was because the team I was assigned to was going a media drop the next day and I was involved with the preparations. Just after I was introduced to my supervisor who I was going to report to for the next two and a half months, she quickly gave me tasks to work on. It immediately occurred to me that I was about to embark on a fast paced journey and there was not going to be room for any compromise of effort on my part. I knew that this agency was a very demanding one and I had to get my engine started with no haste.

On my first day, I had to attend a lunch meeting with the rest of my team. It was not only intimidating, but I was also very lost about what was going on and what they were talking about. May I add the team I was assigned to is the “technology” team thus one needed to have a certain level of understanding of the industry.

I realized that this is part and parcel of choosing an international agency where it is extremely fast paced and since it was my decision to choose such an agency, then I would have to invest more time to educate myself because no one was going to have the time to spoon feed me or sit down and go through the works step by step.

I read in some of the other student’s entries that their first day was nice and leisurely, and I wonder why I did not have such a luxury. However, I do not regret my first day, because in that one day, it set the pace for me, it prepared me for what was to come, and I had a pool of knowledge gained in that single day.

My learning point is that, as much as things took off to a speedy start, it is extremely crucial that one should familiarize one self with the accounts one is going to walk on. It is definitely worth the investment to take the time to learn about the client, the client’s company and the industry it is in. Especially so when the industry is complex, for example Internet Security, where tech terms and jargons are frequently used. The above mention is probably most critical in a PR agency whereby the executives serve multiple clients from varying industries. I feel that having the due knowledge will equip you with the skills to properly execute public relations tools to the maximum potential. Only with the knowledge of the client, the industry and the overall climate then can a PR practitioner fully serve the client and meet the expectations.

No comments: